LegacyGT.com

Another Saabaru???

soopah

Leaked patents reveal GM was considering second Saab-Subaru model

http://www.motorauthority.com/leaked-patents-reveal-gm-was-considering-second-saab-subaru-model.html

http://www.motorauthority.com/content/thumbs/s/a/saab_9_6x_patent_main630-1119-636x360.jpg

Images of what appears to be a patent application by General Motors for a new Saab SUV have leaked onto the Internet, revealing that a Subaru Tribeca-based SUV may have at one point been in the pipeline for the struggling Swedish brand.

If the images turn out to be authentic, this would be the second time GM has used a Subaru vehicle as a basis for a Saab model. Back in 2006, GM got hold of the sporty WRX and rebadged it as a Saab 9-2, with dismal sales of the oddly-styled car ensuing. The success of a second such marriage, especially that of an SUV in today's current economic climate is a risky move but an entry into the burgeoning crossover market may be just what Saab needs to boost its sales and profile.

They ended up going with the Chevy Trailblazer platform or perhaps the Saturn Outlook for the new Saab and abandoned their 2nd Saaburu aspirations.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

They ended up going with the Chevy Trailblazer platform or perhaps the Saturn Outlook for the new Saab and abandoned their 2nd Saaburu aspirations.

Trailblazer was the 9-7x which has been out for a few years. They may be usinging the new outlook/acadia for a "new" SUV-crossover for Saab. I think they dropped the Tribeca thing when they sold their stake in FHI to Toyota.

-mike

Yeah, when GM sold their share in FHI, they abandoned the 2nd Saaburu experiment (which would have been Tribeca-based) and introduced the Trailblazer-based Saab instead.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Yeah, when GM sold their share in FHI, they abandoned the 2nd Saaburu experiment (which would have been Tribeca-based) and introduced the Trailblazer-based Saab instead.

Which is also selling poorly. I don't understand why every brand needs to have an SUV.

Trailblazer was the 9-7x which has been out for a few years. They may be usinging the new outlook/acadia for a "new" SUV-crossover for Saab. I think they dropped the Tribeca thing when they sold their stake in FHI to Toyota.

-mike

yea.. going with the failed trailblazer platform was a bad move imo. Sure it outsells the tribecca probably 4:1 but saab is a bit of a quirky brand and would do it some good to have some more original content. Isnt the trailblazer already rebadged by GMC Isuzu and Buick?

that being said the concept fascia was ugly. But I haven't seen anything Saab has ever made that I didn't consider ugly so take that with a grain of salt. :p

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

that being said the concept fascia was ugly. But I haven't seen anything Saab has ever made that I didn't consider ugly so take that with a grain of salt. :p

Hmm, that's why Subaru making a couple SAAB models was so appropriate - they're both known as ugly/quirky/odd automakers. It's a natural fit!

Maybe now that GM is talking about dumping SAAB too, maybe FHI should buy them. They can replace all the GM-sourced junk with Subaru-sourced platforms instead. :p

Hmm, that's why Subaru making a couple SAAB models was so appropriate - they're both known as ugly/quirky/odd automakers. It's a natural fit!

Maybe now that GM is talking about dumping SAAB too, maybe FHI should buy them. They can replace all the GM-sourced junk with Subaru-sourced platforms instead. :p

Not a bad idea, they could use SAAB as their up-scale company (ala Lexus/Acura/Infiniti)

-mike

The more I think about that, the more I like it. I've always liked SAAB. Having Subaru reliability/durability might be just the thing to get me to buy one.

I have fond memories as a kid of a neighbor across the street owning a SAAB Sonett, with the V-4. It looked like a fun car. Swap the V-4 for a flat-4 and AWD and we'd be all set!

Edit: I didn't realize they had 3 versions. My neighbors' was a Sonett III:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_Sonett

Another Edit: Awesome quote from the above site:

Sonett IV - The Future?

The Sonett IV was planned to be a 2+2 sports car with a 2.0L turbocharged engine, but the project never got very far.

In March 2004 the head of General Motors in Europe, Bob Lutz, stated that he wanted a new Saab Sonett. This time based on the Pontiac Solstice [2]. Another possible platform that was mentioned was the Subaru B9 Scrambler.

Woohoo! They were already talking about using Subie components in a new Sonett! Too bad it didn't happen.

I kinda like that idea too.. maybe subaru could tone down some of the quirkiness, add some HP (most saabs as it is my understanding are already turbo) and make them a more competitive product.

I suppose it goes w/o saying I hold subaru in a higher regard than GM when it comes to everything but pickups.... obviously subaru doesn't have a usdm pickup so its not a conflict of interest to say that either. :lol:

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Archived