Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fourth Generation Legacy (2005 - 2009) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Stage 1 ACN Burning Smell (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197390)

rob-2 12-03-2012 12:07 PM

Stage 1 ACN Burning Smell
 
When I run the car in stage 1 (cobb) for a bit, drive the car hard and than slow down I get a burning smell in the cabin. Not overly powerful a smell, but it's there.

It's not brakes or rubber. It smells almost plastic like, with a tad oil smell.

I initially thought my engine bay was dirty, so I washed it down but no luck. I've checked for oil leaks and nothing.

I suspect my turbo is getting very hot and throwing off a smell, yet as a closed system that doesn't seem reasonable.

Thoughts?

doobaruGT 12-03-2012 12:10 PM

CV boot throwing grease on the DP? just a guess. I have a similar issue and need to take a look under the car.

rob-2 12-03-2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doobaruGT (Post 4184334)
CV boot throwing grease on the DP? just a guess. I have a similar issue and need to take a look under the car.

I don't see any grease. I had that CV boot/axle replaced in August for this very issue.

doobaruGT 12-03-2012 12:17 PM

How many miles? I'm really curious to see what your issue is.

Burba88 12-03-2012 12:59 PM

i too just experienced this smell today after i was running it hard on highway then got home...

Max Capacity 12-03-2012 02:28 PM

May be your finally driving the car hard enough to get all the crap burned off the pipes and out of the cylinders.

How often did the engine see redline before ?

Mine see it every few day's. If not a few times a day.

rob-2 12-03-2012 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doobaruGT (Post 4184340)
How many miles? I'm really curious to see what your issue is.

87K

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max Capacity (Post 4184526)
May be your finally driving the car hard enough to get all the crap burned off the pipes and out of the cylinders.

How often did the engine see redline before ?

Mine see it every few day's. If not a few times a day.

Not sure. The x-wife drove it for the first 26K we had the car. Bought at 60k now at 87K. About 1 k ago I cobb'd it. Toasted the stock brakes two weekends ago in the mountain. I'm used to driving a better car. Between cobbing it and the smoking of the brakes the smell has stayed. It's directly linked to teh stage 1. On eco mode I cannot get the car to smell.

Driving it lighter this last week and no smell.

JMLegacy 12-03-2012 07:33 PM

Check near the turbo if the breather hose is leaking any oil. Did you do an oil change recently?

EJ25subie05 12-03-2012 07:52 PM

its normal at least it was for my old lgt at stage 2 and both of my buddies wrx. ones a 2006 and the other a 2012 they both get a smell inside after running it hard. if you would drive behind them and they get on it, its only a matter of seconds before that subie smell enters your cab :)

JMLegacy 12-03-2012 07:54 PM

So what exactly is that smell? Cause I'm smelling it too. lol.
It's only noticeable when you pop the hood or inside the car. The exhaust pipe doesn't smell that way

Max Capacity 12-04-2012 07:40 AM

I'm still thinking it's all the crap getting hot.

My wagon doesn't have any smells when I drive it hard, because it's used to it.

Engine saw redline 3 times yesterday on the drive home from work.

Drove it to VT and back over the weekend again, no smells.

EJ25subie05 12-04-2012 12:55 PM

i agree, its just stuff that doesn't get burned out because you or previous owner drove car to lightly or it sat for a while. my spec b doesn't smell any more and i run it hard :)

Burba88 12-04-2012 03:23 PM

Must just be the scooby smell :)

rob-2 12-05-2012 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EJ25subie05 (Post 4185217)
its normal at least it was for my old lgt at stage 2 and both of my buddies wrx. ones a 2006 and the other a 2012 they both get a smell inside after running it hard. if you would drive behind them and they get on it, its only a matter of seconds before that subie smell enters your cab :)

What is the smell coming from though? It's concerning, nothing should be 'burning' while driven.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMLegacy (Post 4185221)
So what exactly is that smell? Cause I'm smelling it too. lol.
It's only noticeable when you pop the hood or inside the car. The exhaust pipe doesn't smell that way

I'm trying to figure this out. I am almost suspecting something plastic is cheap and not safe for the heat. Debating removing the engine cover. Remember Subaru is a tractor company first.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max Capacity (Post 4185767)
I'm still thinking it's all the crap getting hot.

My wagon doesn't have any smells when I drive it hard, because it's used to it.

Engine saw redline 3 times yesterday on the drive home from work.

Drove it to VT and back over the weekend again, no smells.

I guess it's important to note 3 redlines wouldn't be considered hard for me.

When I mean hard. I mean sitting above 4K, in and out of boost, high g load (limit of suspension & tires) on some of the twistiest back roads. Heavy braking, and driving it 4-5th/10ths. Cutting the proper line, not just following the road. 2-3 times the posted limit. And before every one gets pissed, if you were out here you'd go 3-5 hours before you saw another car. These are 'those' deserted Southern Nevada roads you see on all the TV shows. On the track in the sports car I'd drive as hard is 8/10ths. So at 4-5/10ths it shouldn't be anywhere near enough 'heat' to cause problems.

Keep in mind I'll have the Honda sitting between 6-8k all day. Not a single smell beyond toasty brakes and rubber.

700watts 12-05-2012 11:11 AM

If it's not the cv boot, it's the “half shaft” meaning the part that connects the rear drive shaft to the tranny leaking trans fluid on to the exhaust if you have manual. Not sure about the auto


O.C.D. 12-05-2012 03:00 PM

All of my Subarus smell like that, lol. Hell even my '80 Brat smells like that.

I thought that was a factory option - the "I had fun with you Subie" smell.

rob-2 12-05-2012 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.C.D. (Post 4188209)
All of my Subarus smell like that, lol. Hell even my '80 Brat smells like that.

I thought that was a factory option - the "I had fun with you Subie" smell.

If there is nothing to worry about, I'm fine with it. However I suspect something is burning or a grease is underspec'd for temps. Both would be bad.

Max Capacity 12-05-2012 04:51 PM

FWIW, neither of my cars have the engine cover.

So it sounds like you know your way around the car. If you've checked it over and under and don't see anything that looks like its burning. Just drive it.

FJuan 12-05-2012 04:53 PM

Leaking Valve cover, leaky intercooler would also cause this.

doobaruGT 12-06-2012 07:22 AM

FWIW, I was just as concerned as you and very skeptical of the "subie smell", thinking cars shouldn't smell like they're burning regardless. However, I ran my car reasonably hard (no red lines but heavy load accel, corner g's and braking) two days ago on a long drive home and whaduyaknow....the burning smell is gone. I can't explain it but it is no more. maybe these guys are right. I have to do IM gaskets and an oil change this Saturday so I'll let you know if I come across anything suspicious.

JMLegacy 01-13-2013 09:33 PM

For my leak it was the valve body and cam angle sensor gasket.. I got that repaired on thursday last week.

Izzy_ 01-13-2013 10:49 PM

I know you say burning smell but still, check also steering pump for leaks. Friend of mine has an 05 gt and it turned out to be that. :)

rob-2 01-14-2013 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doobaruGT (Post 4189219)
FWIW, I was just as concerned as you and very skeptical of the "subie smell", thinking cars shouldn't smell like they're burning regardless. However, I ran my car reasonably hard (no red lines but heavy load accel, corner g's and braking) two days ago on a long drive home and whaduyaknow....the burning smell is gone. I can't explain it but it is no more. maybe these guys are right. I have to do IM gaskets and an oil change this Saturday so I'll let you know if I come across anything suspicious.

Did you come across anything?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:44 PM.



vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.3 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
LegacyGT.com