LegacyGT.com

What I have learned being a Vendor

Title is quite literal, interested to hear what other Legacygt.com Vendors have learned and come to realize through their experiences selling to the members of this forum.

PLEASE KEEP THIS THREAD ON TOPIC. PLEASE DO NOT BASH ANYONE.

I see customers review vendors, and talk about their experiences, but I almost never see it go the other way. Maybe customers can hear about how their actions and purchase idiosyncrasies are regarded by the vendors!

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

I'll start:

I am not a big vendor. I only sell a few types of products, which exist to solve very specific problems. I do not sell t-shirts, and do not have stickers.

I do it because I like it, not because it makes me any real money. If it was only about the money, I would stop immediately. For most vendors, it's of course the opposite: they need to put food on the table, support the family, send kids to college. That's enough about the money from me.

My first and perhaps most interesting (to me) observation is that the super active members here may not be aware of how many people are watching, and how only a tiny fraction are posting. My typical customer knows a good amount about his car (no female buyers yet), and has read a lot of threads. He has gone full stage 2 or VF52 swap or a good amount more. Half do their own wrenching, half have a shop do the work, but nonetheless they know what their shop is doing to some detail.

Most of them post very rarely. Many have never posted.

What caught me by surprise was that of the people who loudly demand a product, who say how necessary and great of an idea it is, how they want this feature and that feature... the majority of that kind of vocal member never buy a single thing. That's why I have no qualms arguing with some of the more vocal people on this forum; in most cases they're just bored people not actually doing anything with their cars.

The other thing I find really interesting is how incredibly nice all--literally ALL--my customer have been. I have talked to most on the phone, and we often have long conversations about any manner of car topic. It's probably my favorite part of the vendor role. If there's one reason I want to continue to do this, it's for the people.

It should be said in context that I am the little guy in the vendor world, and maybe that's why I have had such a good run so far. I hope other vendors can chime in.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

I'll start:

What caught me by surprise was that of the people who loudly demand a product, who say how necessary and great of an idea it is, how they want this feature and that feature... the majority of that kind of vocal member never buy a single thing.

For what its worth I am more involved with another forum that suffers from the same problem.

Archived