LegacyGT.com

Spec B Wheels on Regular Legacy GT

blue2.5gt

Hey guys,

I recently picked up a set of 07 Spec B wheels. I have an 05 legacy gt 5eat and I am trying to determine the best tire size. I want it to look good, and from the other threads I've looked at, there is no real suspension difference between the normal legacy gt and spec b. The guys at town fair tire recommended I get 215/40 r18 tires as that would account for increase in wheel diameter partially (also says the same in the sticky on top). However I am worried if a smaller tire like this won't look as good as going with the 215/45 r 18. If you were in my position what would you do? Would going with the larger tire (215/45 r 18) other than the speedo change affect performance?

Thanks

i saw that in the sticky as GREAT for daily driving versus good, but i read that if you put a wide size on like 225 vs 215 you might get a bit of ballooning at the sidewall region. is this true? just trying to be sure i get this right as I am buying new tires, thanks

thanks for the replies!

@drift motion that was my concern, they have the 215/40r18 available too. if the 225s would look better overall though I could go with those. the ballooning wouldn't really be noticeable right? and the performance would be affected negligibly too?

@drift motion

oh i see thanks for the pic! so the 225 is normally used on a 7.5 inch wheel? would having the 225 reduce the handling? will there be increased sidewall flex?

i just went to look out at my car with the stock tire size on it and it looks like there is a slight balloon even there. im sure that even if the 225 has more balloon than a 215 would on an 18, it is a smaller overall height versus the 17" as the aspect ratio is lower, so im sure that would help negate the ballooning effect

Yea it says 7-8.5" for the 225/45 and 7.5-9" for the 225/40, because it's lower profile so they recommend a slightly wider wheel. I would still go with the 225/40, it should look pretty square and is a better O.D. for your application.

would the 225/40 look better compared to the 215/40? is there an advantage other than that with the 225/40?

also why does it say in the sticky that 225/40 is better than 215/40 for a daily driver (great vs good)? thanks

The 225 is slightly taller than the 215 so your speedo will be closer to what it should be and the bit of extra sidewall will provide a slightly smoother ride. Visually there isn't going to be a huge difference, but the 225 will look a little more meaty.

this is 225 on a 7

It's barely ballooning

there will be minimal performance difference

The stock tire on several years of WRX was 225/45 on a 7" rim.

I never heard the term 'ballooning" in reference to that fitment. Is ballooning the opposite of "Hellaflush?"

Who Dares Wins

スバル

do the tires appear small though? i just feel like something looks off about it, anyone else think so?
IF you truly got 215/40R18 - they will look small. Narrower section width and the 40 series is 40% of that 215. OEM for these wheels was 215/45R18, and so you would be running a much shorter sidewall than OEM, and shorter than the suggested 225/40R18.

@catalyst, thanks for the response

ya unfortunately i looked on the hankook website and they said the ventus v12 225/40r18 was recommended to run on a minimum of 7.5 inch wheel width so i went with the 215/40r18. if i were to have just gone with the 215/45r18 would there have been a big performance difference? i know the speedo would have been more off but i could have lived with that, the car is a stock 5eat (just spt intake) so although i enjoy the performance i could take the hit. also would lowering the car help?

Archived