LegacyGT.com

Legacy Crapped Out

So today I got out of class and walked down to my car. I got in started her up and got about ten yards down the road before it started making a god-awful sound. I pulled over and shut it off. let it sit for a bit then tried moving it again. the second time it made it not even 5 yards before dying meanwhile the car was shaking violently. The only way I can describe the sound is a hacksaw going through metal, while a washing machine is running violently. Currently sitting at the mechanic waiting to be checked out... Any ideas what it might be? I feel this may be the end of my Subbie :mad:

Yeah, waiting to hear back from mechanic either tomorrow or monday. If I wasn't a high school student I would consider doing a swap but its just not realistic. The strange thing is that I drove it around town all day without an issue, and nothing happened while driving. Only when I started it up did things really go downhill. Im thinking if its to far gone to do anything I will take what I can for the scrap and try to pick up a newer Forester.

assuming you are talking about your 98 GT w/ 2.5L engine, you are looking at a timing belt job at the least or most likely a valve job with new head gaskets or worst case a junk engine.

if the timing belt idler died, very very very common, chances are a new belt parts and a few new valves will put it back on the road. but if the t-belt and idlers are intact then you probably have rod / bearing problems which generally mean a different engine is the way to go.

good luck.

Highly unlikely that I pissed somebody off to that point. I go to a fairly preppy school where people are a little less than mechanically inclined, and most drive new BMWs, Audis, etc. that mommy and daddy bought for them. I doubt anyone that I may have pissed off would have the knowledge to pull the drain plug.

If the timing belt and Idlers were gone wouldn't the car not even turn over and move at all? Just a thought.

if the belt is still in one piece and in place it could have jumped time when the toothed idler seized. and then when the ball bearings fell out of the idler and it unfroze, it COULD still be turning the cams. but this is all speculation.

wait for the report and see what they say. if it is anything more than just a timing belt, and i'm pretty you are, the shop costs are likely going to be WAY more than the value of the car. BUT that is not the comparison to make.

you have to compare the repair cost to ''what can i buy for that much money? and how reliable will it be?''

the cheapest way out is probably a 2.2L engine swap. you can buy one for $500 of less and have it installed for $500 to $750. but again, this is premature. you need the shop report.

Bearing broke timing belt slipped. 230 to put on used parts and see if that's the only problem. If it is it will be an additional 600 for new bearing and belt. If valves are damaged and head gaskets hit them, then it'll be 2-3k... He's gonna do the used parts on this after noon and give an update. If its just belt and bearings ill do it, but if its the valves I'm gonna scrap it or sell it to someone looking for a clean body, and find something new.

Bearing broke timing belt slipped. 230 to put on used parts and see if that's the only problem. If it is it will be an additional 600 for new bearing and belt. If valves are damaged and head gaskets hit them, then it'll be 2-3k... He's gonna do the used parts on this after noon and give an update. If its just belt and bearings ill do it, but if its the valves I'm gonna scrap it or sell it to someone looking for a clean body, and find something new.

It will not be 2-3K if you buy the parts needed, then have him do it. Our engines are not that expensive to fix if you can buy the parts yourself. Plus you can always buy DOHC cylinder heads from other GTs/Outbacks that are ready to go. Just saying that there are cost effective ways to get your car going. :D

Valves are fine. 1200 for new pulley, bearing, timing belt, and water pump.

Lucky! Those heads should have been toast! Glad you got everything sorted out though. Our cars last a long while but when they break, boy do they make it idramatic!

picked her up from the mechanic today. Saw 3 identical legacys. All black late 2nd gen gt wagons. Over 20 2nd and 3rd gen legacys and outbacks along with probably 30 foresters. Anyways picked her up and she is running better then ever. Glad it wasn't to major.

Archived