LegacyGT.com

Suspension install frustrations

So frustrated right now. I got my Koni struts, tein h springs, and Monroe mounting kits in the mail and brought it to a local shop for install today. The guy is saying I got "all the wrong parts" and should have gotten the quick strut kit instead. He was gonna do the install for 575 with an alignment included. The other place I went to wanted 800. Can anyone recommend a shop to do this install? I'm in South Jersey, Sewell specifically, like 20 minutes southeast of philly. What is a fair price for the install?

Its a little drive but Mike's guy's at www.AZPinstalls.com might be able to recommend someone or you can ask them how much.

Tell Rey I sent you. I've been buying stuff from them for years.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

You do realize the Konis require cutting up the stock front struts so they are charging you for that service im sure. I steer clear of monroe parts all KYB, all OEM (tophats and shocks)

Yes I do realize that. I found another guy who can do it and charges by the hour ($100). He was saying at least 4 hours. I'm guessing it will take 6 hours with the cutting.

Cut a strut is the Koni way. They make a few prebuilt kits, but they save a ton on R&D and fab costs as well as avoiding a lot of stale inventory by making their line of shocks fit into a huge variety of cars by reusing strut housings. There is no Koni kit already built for the Legacy. Koni is the best option short of coilovers. And you need to get pretty damn expensive coilovers to beat the Koni performance. Get the aftermarket spring of your choice and use OEM for the rest. Top hats and strut bearings should probably be new. Dust shield and bump stop can be reused.

By the way, if you're feeling ambitious. You can do this job yourself. All you really need is a pipe cutter and spring compressors, which you can rent from Auto parts stores for cheap. Read here: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/koni-shock-strut-epic-engineering-spring-install-145744.html

Enjoy! Welcome to LGT.com.

I imagine you talked to the guys at Fast? If not try them. I did the swap on my car and have the right pipe cutter, Only other thing needed is a spring compressor. You can get them from autozone for free rental. If you want to borrow my pipe utter lmk. It a pretty straight up job.

I got a tip that a Meineke near me is good and went there. Got the job done with an alignment for $545. I can't tell u how happy I am with the Koni + tein h tech combo. Keep in mind my old shocks were completely beat, but I can tell you the ride is so much better. Still feel bumps of course but it's much more dampened. The biggest difference is going around jughandles. I swear I'm not used to turning the wheel so much bc the car used to have so much roll. A++

Archived