LegacyGT.com

I just need to vent.....

I love my car. It's by far the coolest, fastest, best handling, and nicest looking car I have ever owned. It's also the only new car I have ever purchased.

With that said- My GT has also had more problems than any other car. I haven't had a car payment in 4 years and my plan was to keep the car for a long time. I have 89K miles and I'm debating on getting rid of it instead of sinking more $$ into it. I still love the car so it's a hard decission. :spin:

Problems:

- 2 clutches

- 3 throw out bearings

- 2 sets of control arm bushings.

- Frozen brake calipers

- electrical issues

- Broken window switches

- Coolant leaks

- clunking in the rear end

- Rear brake line came loose

Right now I need:

- Tranny removed to see why clutch is making noise

- Front axle seals replaced (leaking tranny fluid)

- 2 CV boots replaced

- Front control arm bushings again

- Timing belt soon.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand the frustration, but the old radio show by those car guys got it right - a new car will never be cheaper than fixing an old car. Getting into something new that's comparable means $500-700 a month car loan payment. Doing the timing belt and possibly the clutch alone will only be one month of car payment.

When it comes to the parts that need to be done - consider replacing them with sturdier components than OEM. Front LCA bushings are soft and prone to cracking, just get some poly bushings and enjoy the crisper feel.

When it comes to the clutch - well, either you need to adjust your driving style, or you need to find a new place to do your clutch work.

Stop your whinning and drive the car more. It's cheaper on taxes & insurance.

But what do I know...

I dumb enough to own two of these. Any I'll bet I've spent a ton more money on my 05 then you did.

I'm at about $7000 this year alone.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I figured this car was going to be like a really hot girlfriend. The extra work and money you put in to keep her around will only make you appreciate her more, and when you do get the chance to take her for a real ride its worth all the while. You have to admit there is something special about driving a Legacy and being a part of this community of enthusiasts.

I figured this car was going to be like a really hot girlfriend. The extra work and money you put in to keep her around will only make you appreciate her more, and when you do get the chance to take her for a real ride its worth all the while. You have to admit there is something special about driving a Legacy and being a part of this community of enthusiasts.

That about sums it up ;)

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I know the feeling... constantly dumping money into something that keeps breaking. Start new and don't have to deal with the pains of another thing going wrong.

Like others have said and I'm sure you know... it's cheaper to fix her than to replace her. Maybe you just need to find a good mechanic.

Keep it. 2 clutches in 89k, someones got a heavy foot. Get whiteline or AVO LCAs and if you dont autoX you should never have to do those bushings again. Axles are like 60$ea and not to hard to DIY.Timing belt is maintenance dont hold that against her. I had a caliper seize too, coolant leaks happen stuff gets weak or stretched over time. All in all your talkin like 1000$ in repairs more if you cant DIY, but your looking at 3 months payments per say and you still own it....

My car has 97k and I haven't had any of those problems. I did replace my clutch at ~ 65k but it was more as a precaution and to get rid of the DMFW. The only major failure I've had is a broken 5th gear, which I don't believe was any fault of my own. That was $1200 to fix and I was lucky it was that cheap.

Same here, bought my wagon outright and I've been spending more then I ever thought it would need to get it running right.

I'm in for the long haul tho, cheaper then any other option at this point and its a sweet car.

• I Donated
Keep it. 2 clutches in 89k, someones got a heavy foot. Get whiteline or AVO LCAs and if you dont autoX you should never have to do those bushings again. Axles are like 60$ea and not to hard to DIY.Timing belt is maintenance dont hold that against her. I had a caliper seize too, coolant leaks happen stuff gets weak or stretched over time. All in all your talkin like 1000$ in repairs more if you cant DIY, but your looking at 3 months payments per say and you still own it....

+1. I did one of my CV axles the other day and it was cake.

I have beat my car mercilessly, purchased new. I can't say enough about the durability of this thing. Throw out bearings seem to be a 60K service item in my opinion. Def a weak spot. My end links are original in front (125K), the rear end links lasted to 117K, both on Perrin 22mm bars. Struts are original. Rotors and calipers are original. Keep it, your taxes, insurance, etc will save you money in the long term.

Problems:

- 2 clutches

- 3 throw out bearings

- 2 sets of control arm bushings.

Right now I need:

- Tranny removed to see why clutch is making noise

- Front axle seals replaced (leaking tranny fluid)

- 2 CV boots replaced

- Front control arm bushings again

All this within 90k mi on items which are clearly linked to overdriving/abusing your car. Sounds like she's taking a beating under your ownership. You shouldn't need 3 sets of LCA bushings within 90k mi, or 3 clutches for that matter.

All this within 90k mi on items which are clearly linked to overdriving/abusing your car. Sounds like she's taking a beating under your ownership. You shouldn't need 3 sets of LCA bushings within 90k mi, or 3 clutches for that matter.

LCA's are the dealer service departments gravy. Just because it has a tear doesn't mean it needs to be replaced.

LCA's are the dealer service departments gravy. Just because it has a tear doesn't mean it needs to be replaced.

Tell me about it. I'm surprised they don't start using xrays to discover microtears in those things. When my axle boots started showing the slightest indication of wear it was "time for new axles, you need them". 10,000 miles later and they still look fine :rolleyes:.

Archived