LegacyGT.com

'07 Outback rear trunk won't lock..

Ok... I've searched on here for anything related to this and can't find it. So, my apologies if it is here but I can't find it!!!

My problem is that my rear trunk lid on my '07 Outback wagon won't lock. It remains unlocked even after I use the key fob or the door lock button. All the other doors lock except the rear lid. What do I need to do to fix this!?! Help me please!! I do not want to go to the dealer as I am off warranty and don't want to spend any more money then I need to!!

• 1 month later...

If you do not hear the door lock actuator / solenoid click when you lock the car then start by checking the fuse for the solenoid to see if its blown ( its number 3 15A in both a 2000 and a 2002 OB so hopefully its the same in the 2007 OB ).

Check the DOOR LOCK CONTROL SYSTEM in the Factory Service Manual for full details on how to check for additional items.

• 3 weeks later...

I have this problem with my 2005 outback, the rear latch won't lock. I replaced the latch and actuator and still won't work.

If I slam the door down hard it will sometimes lock, which leads me to belive it may be a short in the wiring.

Also if I opent the door after locking the car the alarm does not sound, whcih leads me to belive this is a problem with something else. I would like get some clues before paying the dealer $85 to trouble shoot the problem.

• 4 weeks later...

I had/have the same issue with my 2005 LGT. Turned out to be broken wiring in the passenger-side harness going to the hatch. It had clearly been repaired before.

Pretty much every wire in that bundle is cracked, 3 or 4 had been soldered and shrink wrapped, but are broken again.

I put it together well enough to work, but it will fail again soon. I'm going to try splicing in some more flexible wire. I'm surprised this isn't a more common problem!

• 3 years later...

I just bought a 2005 outback xt wagon a few hours ago, and I am having this issue. I can hear and feel mechanical action trying to lock when I have the latch of the hatch in front of my face when I use the key fob, but no matter if I use the front door trigger or the key fob, the latch will not lock. I also can have all 5 doors shut, arm the car, have the 4 doors lock, and be able to open the hatch with no change to the alarm. Perfect for anyone to just walk up and enter through the hatch.

I did just charge my fancy expensive dry cell battery and put that in, but I think it's old and sulfur crystalized and no where near decent, so that could be my problem. I doubt it though. It has enough juice to decently roll the windows or move the seats at about half speed. The other doors are managing just fine.

Today is day 1 for me for owning a Subaru. I do not know yet the details of the inner workings of this specific car. I would however like to know exactly without any guessing, what the issue is. It looks like other people are having the same issue and no solutions have been posted yet. So one more call for help here. Thanks!

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/wagons-beware-tailgate-electricals-161086.html

Check this thread out. You might want to inspect the wires inside of the wiring harness. This is an unfortunate issue that appears to be rearing it's ugly head with age on our wagons.

If this is the case PLEASE document and report this to http://www.nhtsa.gov as wiring harness destruction can easily lead to stop/brake light failure. If we all report this, it may help us all to avoid this dangerous issue in the long run.

Archived