LegacyGT.com

2009 Legacy Post-Purchase Questions

I just recently bought a 2009 Legacy. It has 76K on the clock, it's an automatic (not my choice, but one of necessity), and I wanted to submit these two questions to the great and all powerful collective mind that is, LegacyGT.com:

- What is the regular/suggested maintenance schedule for an '09 Legacy? Outside of changing the oil regularly, how often should stuff like the transmission fluid be changed? Belts? Major services? etc.

- When the car is on and in Park and I step on the brake, there is an audible click that comes from the gear lever. I get the same noise when in Drive and accelerating (happens at about 10 mph), and I get it again when slowing to a stop (happens at about 5 mph). Any ideas what this might be? Car drives fine, just curious/annoyed with the noise.

Many thanks!

Most major service items happen around 30k mile intervals.

-Gear oil is every 30k miles, I have a 5mt though.

-Coolant is 60k miles, Subaru OEM coolant.

-Spark plugs are 60k miles, NGK iridium plugs.

-Component belts are inspect and replace based on wear.

-Timing belt is serviced at 105k miles, and other components are inspect and replace including pulleys, tensioner, water pump, t-stat, radiator, radiator hoses. Most do a number of the other parts and this can be expensive.

-Engine oil is every 3k-5k miles depending on a number of things.

Don't know what to tell you about your auto trans clicking, except when in park and tapping the brake it would sound like the safty release clicking open.

Thank you for this! Much appreciated. I don't have documented proof the first owner had this stuff done, but I'll make sure I have it looked at the next time I bring it in. Massively helpful!

D

Most major service items happen around 30k mile intervals.

-Gear oil is every 30k miles, I have a 5mt though.

-Coolant is 60k miles, Subaru OEM coolant.

-Spark plugs are 60k miles, NGK iridium plugs.

-Component belts are inspect and replace based on wear.

-Timing belt is serviced at 105k miles, and other components are inspect and replace including pulleys, tensioner, water pump, t-stat, radiator, radiator hoses. Most do a number of the other parts and this can be expensive.

-Engine oil is every 3k-5k miles depending on a number of things.

Don't know what to tell you about your auto trans clicking, except when in park and tapping the brake it would sound like the safty release clicking open.

Im not convinced you need Subaru coolant.

My new short block has some Peak and Prestone that I had leftover from the timing belt change and topped off with Peak Global pre-mix.

You may also want to get the car off the OEM tune. It is not the best MAP for the car.

Check the Vendor forum here, both my cars are on Tuningalliance.com MAPS. Mike used to be the Tuner at a shop in NH.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Some believe the factory tune on the turbo models aren't the best especially in newer years, and that a stg1 aftermarket tune is better for the car. 90% of my Subaru ownership I've been driving with a Cobb stg1 map.

If you add almost any aftermarket part, you should be tuned accordingly. See the stickies at the tuning and turbo motor sub-forums for stg definitions.

You won't need to tune an NA Subaru until you get cams or extensive motor work, which would be somewhat pointless anyway bc there's not a lot of power on the table with bolt on mods for that motor without spending $$$. Others might disagree with this though.

Archived