LegacyGT.com

Passenger rear suspension rattle/knocking noise?

Just bought a 2005 Leg GT 5MT Wagon, and I absolutely love it. There are a few things I'm going to address on it very soon, and one happens to be this issue.

The car has Bilstein struts and STI Pink springs with saggy butt shims on the rear.

Every little bump and pothole I hit (roads here are atrocious), I hear a knock or a rattle noise from the right rear wheel. I shook the car from side to side and I can faintly hear a knocking noise coming from the same spot. At first, I thought it was a panel or object rattling around in the cubby, but I emptied it and the noise persisted. I'm quite certain it is not the wheel bearing.

I have yet to jack up the car and check it out, I will be doing that tomorrow most likely.

I was just curious if someone had a likely answer to my problem or what it might be, so I know what to look for. I've worked on early WRXs in the past (friends') but I can't quite remember what the rear suspension looks like on them, and the rear suspension on the Legacies are a bit different, no?

Thanks in advance for any replies or insightful information. :)

So the end link boots were still intact, and still pivoted freely and smoothly. They are also torqued down to the right spec. Could they still be the culprit?

The sway bar bushings are poly, and they still look good, everything is tight, and not cracked.

I was reading around and seeing that it could likely be a blown shock, the Bilsteins were installed about 40k miles ago, is that reasonable life for them?

Bilsteins may have been installed 40k ago, but how many miles are on them since new?

If the strut was blown, you'd have a more noticeable issue of it just not rebounding/dampening. You could always have them rebuilt by Bilstein to cover your bases.

:yeahthat:

Sorry, the car has 71k miles on it, if that's what you're asking. The struts were installed new, they were not used before the install. The rear does ride sort of rough I think, but the handling is still on point.

It's possible the other three are compensating for the one in question. Check in the suspension forum.

:yeahthat:

Archived