LegacyGT.com

extremely squishy snow tires?

ericem

Hey guys I recently put on 225/40/18 sailun iceblazer (yes yes cheap tires) on spec b wheels and they drive fine just making lane changed on the highway and turning in general is extremely uninspiring. The rear end feels like it is all over when swaying side to side.

I tried running as much as 45 psi all tires and it still feels the same. How can such a low profile feel sooo extremely soft? If I shake the car it is basically just as stiff as the original pirelli snow tires I had yet driving I consider it unbearable especially if I had to make a emergency maneuver even at a low speed like 40km/h .

Could a bad alignment cause they new tires to feel much worse than the original tires? I am going probably Monday. Would it help if I toe in the rear wheels maybe like 0.05 both sides? Thanks input appreciated even if I should just get new tires.

If the problem started with the install of these tires, then the source of your problem is the tires, not alignment. Most, if not all, of the dirt cheap Chinese winter tires are worse in snow and ice than mainstream all-season tires.

I think Germans found that Chinese and Chinese branded (no well known brand) tires are something like 20 years behind. Their winter tires tend to be good in snow or ice but nowhere else. You get what you paid for.

Sorry.

Krzys

PS I wonder how they work in the wet.

They grip extremely well in the wet, dry no squealing just annoying loosing all input with all the flex!!

Very quiet, no vibrations 100+, just again horrible sidewall flex. I would imagine they will perform phenominal in icey, snow conditions and are probably much stiffer when it is below 10C (still haven't driven below 15-18C really).

I checked the weight ratings at 50PSI compared to all other tire sizes. Most of the other sizes says like 44psi 1700-1800lb's per. Yet the 225/40/18 say 50psi 1300lb per? Any risk running 50psi? Maybe I should run 50PSI nitrogen?

you bought crap tires, expect crap performance. inflate to your recommended pressures, maybe slightly above and be done with it. don't inflate to 50 psi unless you went to the turbodog school of tire management :lol:

also, what temperatures are you driving them in right now?

They grip extremely well in the wet, dry no squealing just annoying loosing all input with all the flex!!

Very quiet, no vibrations 100+, just again horrible sidewall flex. I would imagine they will perform phenominal in icey, snow conditions and are probably much stiffer when it is below 10C (still haven't driven below 15-18C really).

I checked the weight ratings at 50PSI compared to all other tire sizes. Most of the other sizes says like 44psi 1700-1800lb's per. Yet the 225/40/18 say 50psi 1300lb per? Any risk running 50psi? Maybe I should run 50PSI nitrogen?

What is your reference point to say that winter tires that you have "grip extremely well in the wet"? What tires have you driven in the past?

Krzys

because $400 spec b wheels with pirelli winters and sold 17's . Current budget was not allowing me to spend $1100 on what i wanted and can't drive to the states on spare tire.

50psi because i tried with no change leaving them at 40ish and still need a alignment otherwise will get michelin's or pirelli's in the states for under $800.

Performance tires most snow tires are not. I had really squishy ones for my last set and they were scary as hell right after I changed over from summers. They will improve as they wear (will become less squishy as tread depth decreases).

I have General Altimax now and they aren't as soft so they perform better in the dry. But they also aren't as good on ice.

Archived