LegacyGT.com

Help with Stereo Install

HydroStream6

Hello. I've read a bunch of threads here and I'm sure the information I want is somewhere on this forum, but it's so hard to determine what is the correct path to go down.

I have a 2005 Outback XT with the dual automatic climate control. I'd like to put a subwoofer and front component speakers in with a 4 channel amp to run them. I will be bridging the rear 2 channels for the subwoofer. I do not want to run any rear speakers.

I was originally just going to run a line output converter or JL Cleansweep or the like, but it seems like an aftermarker HU is really the way to go. I want to use the avoJDM single din (in the cubby) kit and a single din HU.

What is necessary to get the avoJDM kit to work in a USDM car? It says some modification is required.

What harnesses do I need to get? I want to retain the HVAC for obvious reasons. I will be running RCA cables from my new HU to my amp and then new speaker wire from the amp back up to the OE harness behind the factory HU, where I will then splice into the OE speaker wires going to the front speakers. The rear speakers will not be used.

How do I need to tap into to OE harness to keep functionality of the HVAC and also power my new HU?

Is there anything else I need to make this easier? I have a set of Infinity Reference components that I will use for my fronts and I have the amp and sub kicking around as well. Just need to purchase wiring, the din kit, whatever harnesses and the HU.

Thank you in advance!

Adam

I have a 2005 Outback XT with the dual automatic climate control. I'd like to put a subwoofer and front component speakers in with a 4 channel amp to run them.

it seems like an [aftermarket] HU is really the way to go. I want to use the avoJDM single din (in the cubby) kit and a single din HU.

What harnesses do I need to get? I want to retain the HVAC for obvious reasons. I will be running RCA cables from my new HU to my amp and then new speaker wire from the amp back up to the OE harness behind the factory HU, where I will then splice into the OE speaker wires going to the front speakers. The rear speakers will not be used.

How do I need to tap into to OE harness to keep functionality of the HVAC and also power my new HU?

And will I need an antenna adapter? ...

Hi Adam,

Short version of what you need:

• 14-pin "forward" harness (connect to car's factory radio harness, must have all 14 wires)
  • 14-pin reverse harness (connect to OEM radio, to keep HVAC portion working -- only need ground, power and 2 illumination/dimmer leads (5 wires);
    Optionally also one pair of speaker leads (4 wires, to continue using OEM CD changer)
  • Subaru antenna adapter (for new radio's AM/FM). All 2005-2009 Legacys/Outbacks need this to install an aftermarket radio.

For other/later models with factory 3.5mm aux jack and/or audio steering wheel controls, you may also want a harness to connect to the car's i85 harness.

See these threads for details, links, and pictures (especially my posts):

(see my posts 28, 40, 45 there)

Archived