LegacyGT.com

Frustrated

eweisner

I shattered a rod in my 2.5 did unspeakable damage. Replacing with a 2.2L from a 2000 Impreza. I have the intake worked out. The EGR worked out. The header is giving me fits. The problem. I cannot find one. Any help????:mad:

Do an EGR delete and make your own set of headers. The single port heads on that motor are simple as pie. Just get a 2 flanges from a local muffler shop or parts store and take them to a muffler shop to have a couple 90 degree bends put on them. I'm not sure what car has the shattered rod came out of, since you didn't mention a year, model, trim level, or engine for the car with the blown motor, and you didn't happen to fill in your profile so we don't even know what continent you live on, so who knows how easy it's going to be (If at all) to get this thing a legitimate inspection sticker after this is all said and done. If you live in cold temperatures most of the year you might want to weld something off the headers and jerry rig an EGR. There's tons of ways to do it, but your best bet is to make your own headers. Single port 2.2l headers are rare, and even when you get hold of them they're not pretty, or much better than the factory headers with a gutted cat. Its just 2 pieces of tubing with a couple 90's on 'em and simple flanges. If you managed to get the engine in the car already this part should be pretty easy. a $250 pocket-MIG welder from Sears and a weekend of practice and reading the owners manual would do the trick as far as the welding. A simple hacksaw with a fresh blade will slice right through your tubing.

Or buy the tubing, the flanges, and a 30 rack and I'll do it for you.

P_R,

Sorry I should have clarified. I have a 2003 Subaru Legacy L, 5 speed. Threw a rod at 70 mph on I-24 North from Murfreesboro to Nashville.

The car had a 2.5L and the donor is a 2.2 L out of a 2000 Impreza that had an AT but no EGR. It was donated to me by a group of friends and being out of work I'm grateful. I have things to do like the header. And being in Tennessee I have to pass emissions. But I'm close to having it back up and running.

I have a friend who is helping me that builds race cars. He has every tool needed to do what was described. I would love to see pictures of a "homebrew" header. I have found

Borla headers for $325.00 but just really don't want to spend that much. Currently student teaching and money is tight.

Archived