LegacyGT.com

08 wrx

gimpydingo

Just a heads up, the 08 WRX is hated in the WRX cummunity, It is referred to as the Redheaded bastard stepchild! Subaru soften the body lines, soften the suspension, gave it a small turbo. the following year they did some upgrading.

Now I had a 08, found out all this info after the fact, It made me like it even more, because every one on NASIOC tore it apart. After some sway bars, end links, a Bilstein/RCE setup and a full TBE, and a Stage 2 Map. it was OK in my book.

Also when I was looking the 08's were priced a little lower, mine was $18,200 with 32K on it back in 2010. also the early production year had the ringland issues, so check the build date. go onto to NASOIC and search for that info. there are a couple other things people didn't like about them, but if the build date is of a later date, and all Maintenace is up to date, and it's in your price range, with a little extra cash it can be a fun car to have!

Pretty much what BX77 said. Stock suspension is awful, the stock turbo weak and pathetic. Note that as well as the turbo (VF-52) update in '09, they also upgraded the whole exhaust from turbo on back to support that, and unless I'm mistaken the fuel pump as well.

Other than that the changes are mostly cosmetic until the '11. From a certain perspective this car is better place to start from than an '09. It's cheaper to get into, from the outside it's very 'sleeper' with the small wing and chrome bits. The '09 springs are stiffer but the damping is still stupidly soft, so you'd be upgrading the underpinning anyway. Many of these cars will already have an exhaust on them and if you get one that's stage 2 it's just ripe for a modest turbo swap.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I'm ready for the flaming!

Drove the WRX and I was up against the wheel to be able to push the clutch to the floor. I'm 5'11" so not that short. Adjusted the seats and it wasn't happening. Passed on the WRX. Ended up buying a 2011 Lancer Ralliart with touring packaged for not that much more. Interior is great, all the bells and whistles the wife wanted and still fast and sporty. Spoent 5 1/2 hours haggling over it and walked out at on point telling them I had to drive the WRX. Got it worked out.

I'll let the short guy testing the WRX have it. He glared and watched us as I took it for a test drive. From the convo I heard he still has to wait on his check from the insurance company after he totalled his other car. Don't think he needs a WRX.

Thanks for help!!

I'm ready for the flaming!

Drove the WRX and I was up against the wheel to be able to push the clutch to the floor. I'm 5'11" so not that short. Adjusted the seats and it wasn't happening. Passed on the WRX.

You are right about being up against the wheel, I am the same height and had the same problem. My left knee would sit agaisnt the door handle and on long trips and start to hurt.

Good luck with your new car!!

Thanks! The GSR I drove I was far from the wheel, but my knee was off to the side past the wheel because the clutch is so long. So far so good on the new car. I love my Leggy so that's staying for quite a while. The Impreza had to go, sad as it was.

Archived