LegacyGT.com

2009 legacy spec b suspension issue

I purchased this car brand new and have always had a strange wearing problem mostly on my inside of my rear tires, but it does wear all around this way. I took it to the shop and they suggested a camber kit, but I have been unable to find one. Today I went for a rotation to find in a months time my tires were worn through and nearly separating on the inside and mainly right front and rear. Both sides of the car are wearing but the right much faster now it seems. I have had it aligned multiple times since I got the set of tires and since on every set of tires I have purchased for this vehicle, but I'm wondering if anyone has had this problem with this model or if its a fluke? Any suggestions on how to fix the issue, again it's been from day one and I am the first owner...never in an accident...I'm wondering if doing a coil over might fix this issue or is there a better option? Thanks :)

If you've tried different brand and model tires and it still wears on the inside then you need to go to a real alignment shop, like a performance alignment shop to really investigate....those guys are usually real good at detecting incorrect alignment specs and why. Getting coil overs or anything that lowers the suspension will increase the rear camber.... the rear lower control arms have an adjustment bolt that can be used to control the rear camber a little.... so either the places you've gone to didn't know this or they didn't adjust because the computer says the specs are normal. the rears only allow small toe and camber adjustments.... take it to a real alignment place...and im sure there are in your area.

100k, that's a lot of miles in a short time.

But like he said, find a good alignment shop. Who ever did the last alignment didn't do a very good job.

These cars basically never need to be aligned unless you replace suspension pieces.

My 05 who got aligned when I had the LCA bushings changed and then the ball joint a few months back.

It has had a number of different tires on it, but never had it aligned just because of new tires. My 00GT wagon was never aligned in the 75,000 miles I had it, the tires all wore even.

Find a good shop. You may want to ask the guy's at the auto parts stores who's good and then call some body shops to see who they use.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

It's all stock...and its worn this way from day one. when i took it to the dealer to question it they said its normal because of the camber and that i need to rotate every 3k instetad of 7k, but ive been doing that and still it wears the insides. yea it's a lot of miles :/ I drive about 100mi/day plus because I'm from San Diego ive made several trips there and through NM for my husband family. And no never in an accident :)

I unfortunately found this forum after getting my tires changed at discount...basically my tread looked as if I had another 15-20k miles, but the inner edge looked like I was only driving on the edge. It just dropped off onto a flat edge right along the side wall and was separating :/

I had one changed out before I went out of my 100k warranty and tried to push them to replace both because I was/am hearing noise, but they insisted it only needed one. I forgot about mentioning that, I actually was wondering if that could have had anything to do with it as i thought they were supposed to replace them in 2's? The dealer said no i didnt need to have them replaced in 2's, but this seemed off to me as it wasnt until around 80k miles that i had the one replaced and you would think this would cause isses to have one so much more worn than the other? I'm not sure if that answers the question or not? If not I am honestly not sure how to tell if the strut itself is showing wear?

the rear shocks don't play any role in the alignment of the rear wheels except for ride height, if the wheels is trying to raise higher than the rest it will cause the suspension to lower and the camber to increase. but this would be evident on the alignment machine. take a picture of the rear of the car standing a few feet back so we can see visually if the camber is more than it should be (if it's severe, which by the wear you say, sounds like it).

Nah, that's normal. The rear end of the 4th gen always looks saggy -- you can search around here and find lots of options for evening it out, but either way, it has nothing to do with your tire wear.

How many miles are you driving between rotating your tires? Who's doing the rotation when it's done?

The stock alignment specs for the rear will wear unevenly on the inner corner. If you put 10k on them between rotations, you'll wear them out like that pretty fast. If you're putting 3k mi/month on there, you probably need to be rotating every month.

I'm having discount rotate every about 3k because I had that suggested to me by them because of my wear. They said it was the "sports suspension". Good to know about the saggy rear ;) I saw something in another post about saggy butt spacers, ill have to look into them :) thanks!

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3590738&postcount=1963

Here's pictures all around of my 09, I have 17" wheels so you can see it even a bit more exaggerated.

If you have an alignment sheet, post it up. I'm curious what specs they're putting it to.

If they zero out the toe for you, it will help considerably if there is any. The car will be slightly less straight-line stable though.

When they did my alignment they showed me the sheet and it said it was within spec...I do not have that sheet still, but I think I need to take it to a performance shop for the alignment here very quickly as suggested by another poster. That's what I'm about to research now as I drove the car one day and the little nubby things are missing already on the inside of my front right, but not left... The last place I took it was just a generic everyone takes their car there type of place that's behind discount...they were as helpful as they could be, but that's not saying too much I suppose.

They're definitely directional, but I spoke to discount about remounting as they wear to try to get more life out of them. They said they could do that and I should get better wear its like $16 or something stupid which ill gladly pay to avoid my tires going this fast.

Archived