LegacyGT.com

Safe jack points

Where are the best places to raise the car with a floor jack on our cars? I've been doing it front behind the front/ in front of the rear wheels (where you would use the jack the comes with the car) and it actually dented in the lip that sticks down in the front of the car. I've also been putting jack stands in these locations as well.

I've seen people lifting the front of Subarus under the center brace that goes under the engine. Is this a safe jack point? I wouldn't want to damage this brace or the oil pan or anything.

If you're getting underneath, jack stands at all four corners at the jacking points, slide one or two of the wheels underneath in case a stand kicks out. There is a thread in here where a guy was killed when he accidently kicked one of the stands out and the car fell on him.

ck this out: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/jack-stand-safety-186254.html

BE SAFE!

Thank you. Actually the main pair of stands I use has a large pin that fits in a hole to adjust height. I do have a ratcheting set also, but don't trust those as much. I also like leaving the floor jack in a place on the side of the car I'm working under as a backup too.

I was mainly wondering where the best places to jack up the car are.

Best points are the four corners for jack stands, but you can lift from the front crossmember and under the center of the rear diff to position your stands. I have the pin and the lever type and I have to agree with the others I feel safer with the pin type stand.

Thank you. I'd prefer to lift from the front crossmember and then put the stands in behind the front wheels if the crossmember is strong enough. I have a rattle/ buzzing sound coming from under there that I think are the heat shields on the exhaust pipe so I plan to crawl under there later today.

Archived