LegacyGT.com

Fog Lights as DRLs

Guys, I know there are threads our there that probably cover this and I apologize in advance for creating a possible duplicate so please forgive me.

I'd like to disable my high beam DRLs and instead have the fog lights operate as the DRL. Is this possible and if so, what's needed?

Thanks in advance and again, sorry if this is a repeat. I'm working with just my phone today and for some reason searching is not working well.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkVLMMPuMeQ]OSRAM LED Fog Lamp DRL - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4vYNrwjRak]OSRAM LEDriving FOG (FOG 101) — противотуманные фары Ñ Ð´Ð½ÐµÐ²Ð½Ñ‹Ð¼Ð¸ ходовыми огнÑми — обзор 130.com.ua - YouTube[/ame]

If you can hold off until I get my capacitors in from vleds.com, I'd like to say that the DRL/Highbeam function is really good with their 9005 LED kit. Last night a guy cut me off and I flashed the highbeams. Pretty certain he saw it unless he was blind, which would partially explain why he cut me off with no traffic around. It is very plug and play and took less than 20min to install.

Which kit did you buy? If the capacitors don't fix the flickering issue I have when it is in DRL mode I might switch to something else. The highbeams on my set are really powerful... so much so that I will be hesistant to flash them at night now.

I ordered the 2xH11_XP80W kit. It was $95. Haven't installed it yet so I can't say how stable the lights are. I do have Diode Dynamics HID low beams though and my experience with those has been good so I thought I would try their LED fogs.

Yeah, this can be done; just need some wire, a couple of wire taps and a couple of H11 harnesses. Removing the bumper cover will be the hardest part, which if you've done before, is easy.

^ Were you referring to modifying the wiring to allow the fogs to work as DRLs? If so, I've had the cover off at least 4 times and have no problem with that so I would be very interested in learning more about this if you could elaborate.

Here's the kit I bought: http://www.vleds.com/9005-mtg2-3000lm.html. I guess it all depends on how bright you want the bulbs to be. At max, vleds.com claims my set to shine at 3000LM compared to the DD set at 510LM. To be honest, I wouldn't mind having my bulbs a tad less bright. But also my set without discount is double thr price of yours..

^ Were you referring to modifying the wiring to allow the fogs to work as DRLs? If so, I've had the cover off at least 4 times and have no problem with that so I would be very interested in learning more about this if you could elaborate.

1st question, do you want the fogs to just be DRLs or do you want them to function as both fogs and DRLs?

1st question, do you want the fogs to just be DRLs or do you want them to function as both fogs and DRLs?

Oh man, I feel like a kid on Santa's lap now (please do not assume any sexual connotations with that)!:lol:

Ideally, I want to have them operate as both and have my high beams completely out of the picture until I actually turn them on. If that isn't possible (or easily done), having them just replace the DRLs would be fine also.

Oh man, I feel like a kid on Santa's lap now (please do not assume any sexual connotations with that)!:lol:

Ideally, I want to have them operate as both and have my high beams completely out of the picture until I actually turn them on. If that isn't possible (or easily done), having them just replace the DRLs would be fine also.

Having them operate as both is a lot trickier, unless you get a set with 2 different circuits built in.

To have them just as DRLs:

1st, disconnect the DRL resistor.

2nd, get a couple H11 harnesses and cut the red +12V wires, then install the harnesses between the factory harnesses and the fogs. Get good quality harnesses, "cheap" ones tend to corrode (found out the hard way).

3rd, grab some 16awg or 18awg wire and splice one end to the H11 harness' red wire that you cut (connect it to the section that goes to the fog lamp, not the factory harness).

4th, splice the other end of the wire to the headlamp connector as follows: LH headlamp's Red w/Green stripe wire (pin 5), RH headlamp's Red w/Blue stripe wire (also pin 5).

With this setup, your fog lamps will have dual functions as full intensity DRLs, as well as activating when you turn on your high beams.

Having them operate as both is a lot trickier, unless you get a set with 2 different circuits built in.

To have them just as DRLs:

1st, disconnect the DRL resistor.

2nd, get a couple H11 harnesses and cut the red +12V wires, then install the harnesses between the factory harnesses and the fogs. Get good quality harnesses, "cheap" ones tend to corrode (found out the hard way).

3rd, grab some 16awg or 18awg wire and splice one end to the H11 harness' red wire that you cut (connect it to the section that goes to the fog lamp, not the factory harness).

4th, splice the other end of the wire to the headlamp connector as follows: LH headlamp's Red w/Green stripe wire (pin 5), RH headlamp's Red w/Blue stripe wire (also pin 5).

With this setup, your fog lamps will have dual functions as full intensity DRLs, as well as activating when you turn on your high beams.

Thank you! Just to make sure I understood your description properly, could you take a look at this sketch and let me know if I've got it right? Also, where did you purchase the H11 harnesses? I'd like to make sure I get good ones.

1957940549_2014-09-1814_29_15.jpg.f74985efc816e273c485040a90993f70.jpg

Thank you! Just to make sure I understood your description properly, could you take a look at this sketch and let me know if I've got it right? Also, where did you purchase the H11 harnesses? I'd like to make sure I get good ones.

No, in your diagram, you're just reattaching the new wire back to the old wire on the fog light wiring harness. The Red/Blue & Red/Green wires are the wires on the 8-pin headlamp harness that goes to the headlights. That's where you're splicing into the DRL circuit.

This looks like it would be the best connector for us and closest to OEM... http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Putco/P230008HD.html

With that, you wouldn't be cutting anything, just splicing into the DRL & Ground circuits.

Archived