LegacyGT.com

So...P0021 Code Read at shop...What to know about it?

Well my car has had this problem for a couple of months now, called the dealer and they told me it was most likely a loose gas cap (Engine light on, with flashing cruise) So I tightened the cap and it went away for a short while. Well it has been off and on 4 times now so I took it to a shop for further investigation and they pulled a P0021 code. They didnt know exactly what it was only that it had to do with cam timing or OCV. They told me to take it to a dealer for further investigation.

Well after doing some research on the code I cant find any real solid information. Came up with a few things but nothing solid. The car seems to run fine when warm, and still boosts fine. But what I have noticed is listed below, any clues on what it actually is before I take it to the dealer. (Let me know if any behavior is normal)

-Car takes a couple seconds to start when ice cold

-When fully warm, car will shake slightly (also at stop signs)

-When cold will lurch (jerk) forward then stop and so on when going at slower speeds

-Burns "normal" amount of oil

To my knowledge as second owner banjo screens have not been removed, catted up pipe still stock, and bought it with non-synthetic oil in it (Replaced with fully synthetic) Currently 89,500 miles on ODO.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you in advance!!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You'll need to clean the OCV's, check/remove the banjo filter.

Listen to the turbo, learn how it sounds. If it begins to whine look at replacing it, before it starts to whistle which is just before it blows.

You'll also want to get a catless up pipe, and remove the EGT probe which requires the 2.2kohm resistor in the gray connector the probe came out of.

You may also want to get a tune, because there is a flaw in the OEM MAP that can cause burnt valves.

Then if your going that far, might as will do the DP and get the full benefit of the tune.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Is the dealer able to tune the MAP? Because I believe I am able to get a good deal on this in my situation because I have talked to a dealer before about the light. As for a catless up pipe I know its recommended but Is there a pipe I can use that uses the EGT still? I dont want to mod stuff quite yet. And yes removal of the banjo filter is on my list for the dealer as well!

I personally have the Invidia on mine. But in my opinion they're basically all the same. As long as it fits and doesn't leak it's way better/safer than stock. The only thing I recommend you do is do some research on whether or not you want one with a flex section in it. Some say to get it, others say don't because it's a weak spot that could rot out down the road. I don't think it's necessary to have. There's a thread floating around here somewhere with a debate about it. I know jnaperformance.com has a cheap generic one for about $90 I think if you don't care about name brands and all that nonsense.

I personally have the Invidia on mine. But in my opinion they're basically all the same. As long as it fits and doesn't leak it's way better/safer than stock. The only thing I recommend you do is do some research on whether or not you want one with a flex section in it. Some say to get it, others say don't because it's a weak spot that could rot out down the road. I don't think it's necessary to have. There's a thread floating around here somewhere with a debate about it. I know jnaperformance.com has a cheap generic one for about $90 I think if you don't care about name brands and all that nonsense.

Alright I'll have to check that out. Thanks!

Also does the dealer do MAP tune? To the better version or updated version?

Well I just checked the drivers side OCV and it looks clean as new. It just must be a bad sensor. Unless the code was thrown for some other reason. Dont have time or money to troubleshoot so I still have to take it to the dealer :(

a p0021 will occur when either the ocv is faulty OR if the ocv is receiving less than adequate oil pressure. the banjo bolt, which is the same one that feeds the turbo may be clogged. better check it now or your turbo may be in a world of hurt until it blows. if the banjo filter is clean already then replace the ocv solenoid. it being clean doesn't always mean it's working fine.

a p0021 will occur when either the ocv is faulty OR if the ocv is receiving less than adequate oil pressure. the banjo bolt, which is the same one that feeds the turbo may be clogged. better check it now or your turbo may be in a world of hurt until it blows. if the banjo filter is clean already then replace the ocv solenoid. it being clean doesn't always mean it's working fine.

Oh I know I'm having the dealer replace or remove the banjo filter wether its clean or not to be safe. I really hope my turbo isnt damaged if it is clogged somewhat...

Will the dealer do that since it's "modifying" the car? Never brought a car to the dealer so I'm not too sure. I'm sure there's a good walkthrough on here so I would save the money and do it yourself.

Yeah they said they could replace it, but the quote was $575! Im like uhh F that, I can do it myself, I just thought while I was there they could do it. Did not expect that kind of price just for that. Im not mechanically stupid so I can do it its just the time lol. Busy these days. But anyways the code, all they did was do a chemical engine flush, and changed the oil. So we'll see if that fixed it or not... Was $111 bucks.

• 3 weeks later...
Well Took it to the dealer, they did an Engine flush, and checked the oil lines for any sludge buildup, None whatsoever. I also replaced the OCV on the drivers side since thats the side the code was for. Drove it another oh, 50 miles? came back on! I have no idea what is wrong with my car. Anyone help or have had the same situation? Thanks!!

for what its worth, a tune issue isn't going to cause this code. the map table(AVCS timing advance) tells the ocv to switch and to let oil into the cam sprocket in order to advance its cam timing, the cam position sensor confirms its advance request. when the map table has x degrees of advance requested and the cam sensor is not seeing x, it will throw that code. cam sensors have their own CEL so if it was bad it would probably throw it. another thing is, maybe your timing belt skipped a tooth. that's another cause of the p0021 code. check your timing marks and maybe at the same time check your cam position sensor, maybe it's dirty? it's located on the top side of the head in the back, next to the furthest back injector.

for what its worth, a tune issue isn't going to cause this code. the map table(AVCS timing advance) tells the ocv to switch and to let oil into the cam sprocket in order to advance its cam timing, the cam position sensor confirms its advance request. when the map table has x degrees of advance requested and the cam sensor is not seeing x, it will throw that code. cam sensors have their own CEL so if it was bad it would probably throw it. another thing is, maybe your timing belt skipped a tooth. that's another cause of the p0021 code. check your timing marks and maybe at the same time check your cam position sensor, maybe it's dirty? it's located on the top side of the head in the back, next to the furthest back injector.

Ok I'll have to make sure this sensor isnt dirty either. Really hope it has nothing to do with my timing belt skipping a tooth. Would not be good. But it would probably run bad all the time if that were the case, but it runs good usually, just likes to have a little "shutter" every now and then when accelerating.

I doubt the belt skipped a tooth.

You may want to start looking for a replacement turbo.

See post #2.

I went with a vf52.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Yeah I'll have to check the sensors out, hope its not my belt skipping a tooth. That would not be good.

Belts skipping a tooth are very, very rare. Sure, in internet lore you'll occasionally read about one but of those I don't know how many are true stories...

Anyway, your P0021 is because you're computer is commanding a valve timing advance that is different than what the sensor is reading. The OCV modulates oil pressure to an actuator which in turn advances the cam position. So either insufficient oil pressure (clogged banjo) or a sticky OCV could be the cause. The sensors are only ~$80 and they're an easy replacement. You could try to clean, but IMO it's a wear item and I'd just replace it and be done with it.

Do keep in mind that bank 1 is the passenger side which is also the turbo side... highly recommend getting that banjo filter out while it's down for maintenance - or even better, install a bypass filter from infamous.

Yeah I'll have to check the sensors out, hope its not my belt skipping a tooth. That would not be good.

These are interferance fit engines. If you jumped a tooth on the timing belt. You'd know it. You wouldn't be driving the car.

Belts skipping a tooth are very, very rare. Sure, in internet lore you'll occasionally read about one but of those I don't know how many are true stories...

Anyway, your P0021 is because you're computer is commanding a valve timing advance that is different than what the sensor is reading. The OCV modulates oil pressure to an actuator which in turn advances the cam position. So either insufficient oil pressure (clogged banjo) or a sticky OCV could be the cause. The sensors are only ~$80 and they're an easy replacement. You could try to clean, but IMO it's a wear item and I'd just replace it and be done with it.

Do keep in mind that bank 1 is the passenger side which is also the turbo side... highly recommend getting that banjo filter out while it's down for maintenance - or even better, install a bypass filter from infamous.

Yep sensor on drivers side already replaced, did not fix the problem. Both shops pulled up bank 2, so it is the drivers side so I'm not worried about the oil supply to the turbo right now but I will be getting the banjo filter out when I have the time. The dealer did pull off the oil lines to the drivers side sensor and did not see any cloging at all or sludge buildup, so its probably similar on the other side.

These are interferance fit engines. If you jumped a tooth on the timing belt. You'd know it. You wouldn't be driving the car.

Thats exactly what i thought. It runs good 99% of the time so yes I do believe the belt did not skip a tooth. Would definitely know if it did.

Could someone post a vid of their car idling under the hood both left and right side of the engine? I just want to compare any unusual noises that may be occurring because as of right now I am just guessing that the motor sounds correct.

or take a vid of yours and we'll tell you if its normal...

Was just hoping somone else had already did this and they could post it because it is below zero and I have no garage and I would have to warm it up lol. Its definitely a cold baby. Hates starting in this kind of weather. Luckily never had a problem turning over in this weather lol. I'll get a video when I get home from work tomorrow so it will already be warmed up.

Archived