LegacyGT.com

Car rumbles/vibrates while turning at slow speeds.

When turning corners in my car at slow speeds the whole car will rumble/vibrate, almost feels like a tire is rubbing the wheel well but it is not. I only notice this when entering my driveway/parking spaces. It does it turning left/right and in forward/reverse.

I took it to the dealership and they told me it's being caused by my really bald tires and that one tire has more trend left than the other 3. So I took it in today and got 4 brand new tires and an alignment. The tire shop said everything else looked good and made no mention of this problem.

Does anyone have a clue as to whats causing this? It's starting to get really annoying and I don't want it to cause a major problem. The shops don't seem to care about it but I do.

That's odd that the shop wouldn't look into it more. Go to another shop. It's amazing that they would only look at the car and not go on a test drive to duplicate what you're hearing. Just the fact that they didn't test drive it makes me wonder how well did they look under the car.

more than likely it is the awd clutch pack in the trany . you said that you had one tire that was worn more than the others - this can cause the awd to work over time - you can check this by installing the FWD fuse in the fuse box under the hood and try the parking maneuver to see if it still vibrates-

more than likely it is the awd clutch pack in the trany . you said that you had one tire that was worn more than the others - this can cause the awd to work over time - you can check this by installing the FWD fuse in the fuse box under the hood and try the parking maneuver to see if it still vibrates-

Never heard of this but I'll give it a try and let you know what I find out.

Sounds like a torque bind. The 4 speed auto trannys get this issue sometimes. Rebuilding the transfer section of the transmission should solve this. Sometimes a trans flush can also remedy this.

Putting in the FWD fuse should reveal this issue. It should go away once installed.

jake

Torque bind. My 2.5i 4EAT had the same issue. Did a complete change of the ATF to BG full synthetic and the problem was resolved.

I totally forgot to mention the dealership said I need to change my ATF since it was burnt. They wanted $170 to do it so I told them to go kick rocks.

Should I go to a shop and get a full flush or should I just drain it and refill? If I so that what kind of ATF should I use? I've been reading and there seems to be 101 different opinions on this. According to my manual it says to use:

IDEMITSU HP

Castrol Transmax J

Pennzoil J

Or if your vehicle has a 4 speed auto you can use Dexron III in addition to the recomended fluid types

After researching the Idemitsu is super expensive unless you order online, the Catrol and Pennzoil you can never find in stores, and to never use Dexron. What do you all think?

A drain and fill only gets out about 1/3 of the fluid. It is a lot less work to do a "flush" using an exchange machine. You also don't waste any fluid like you would doing a multiple drain and fill method.

My local Subaru dealer uses a BG fluid exchange machine and I just used the default BG universal synthetic ATF. I think it cost around $100 to do the complete fluid exchange. The BG fluid is much cheaper than the Subaru HP+ fluid.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived