LegacyGT.com

Front End Squeak Only Over Small Bumps

qikslvr

Alright, I have a bump related squeak in the front end that IS NOT speed dependent. I have h-techs on what were new OE struts a couple months ago. I had a progress FSB and Perrin endlinks(save your comments:rolleyes:), but removed both and put the stock setup back on and there is no difference.

Here is the rundown of the symptoms:

I get no noise on a smooth road or around smooth corners.

It's an "eeek eeek" sound when driving at any speed and hitting small bumps.

It's comming mainly from the drivers side; however the passenger side tire's bounce can make the drivers side squeak.

It's the same at all speeds and only occurs over small bumps like manhole covers, potholes or cracks in the road.

It doesn't make the noise when I go over full size speed bumps or pull in driveways.

Turning the steering wheel has no effect and doesn't cause/lessen the squeak.

Brakes have no effect on squeak.

Makes squeak with car in any gear, in neutral, with the clutch in or out and engine speed has no effect.

Pressing the gas and letting off quickly will sometimes make it squeak as the car rocks back and forth.

I have swapped out the aftermarket FSB and endlinks back to the stock ones, greased the LCA bushings, reseated springs, swapped Perrin TMIC and BOV back to stock, swapped OE pitch stop mount to AP aluminum pitch stop, checked bolt in DP that mounts near tranny, greased RSB and checked endlinks for clearance, checked lug nuts, removed STI tranny mount and re-installed OE mount and I've greased everything I can touch.

Would this be a blown strut or maybe tweaked half-shaft? I've bottomed out pretty hard a couple times on the freeway at about 60mph. There is a bridge that popped up a little over the winter an the slabs sit up about 2"-3" up from the rest of the road and it's got a pretty hard sharp edge. I tagged it a couple different times in different lanes thinking maybe one lane would be better, but no such luck. I now take the exit before that bridge.

I will check the dustshield on the brakes and the brakes themselves. I will also try to get out and have the wife drive it while I drive next to it to see if I can nail down the location better. I jacked first gear a few weeks ago at the track, but this developed independent of that unless it is an axle shaft. Again, it's just an annoying squeak over every little bump in the road.

Any suggestions or further diagnostic questions would greatly appreciated.

Let's kick this pig!

Just got done wrapping the ends of the springs with electrical tape. They came with sleeves on them, but thought I'd give it a try. Took it out for a spin and still get the noise. It's fine for a few blocks and then at the same bump on the same road about 1 mile from my house it starts squeaking again:mad:.

I'll take it to the dealership and see what they have to say. I'm just sick of pulling parts and re-installing them. Maybe it's a wheel bearing:confused:, but it's not speed or turn related.

Let's kick this pig!

That was one of my guesses. The rubber in my tophats is pretty soft and is starting to crumble. I think I go to the dealer and have them give it a listen and see what they say. Then I'll order some new front struts and top hats. I've had the springs out, wrapped the tips on both ends with electrical tape and re-seated them. My h-techs seem to leave a little play in the strut assembly. When the struts are fully extended I can move the springs a little.
Let's kick this pig!

That was one of my guesses. The rubber in my tophats is pretty soft and is starting to crumble. I think I go to the dealer and have them give it a listen and see what they say. Then I'll order some new front struts and top hats. I've had the springs out, wrapped the tips on both ends with electrical tape and re-seated them. My h-techs seem to leave a little play in the strut assembly. When the struts are fully extended I can move the springs a little.

By move, do you mean up and down or that you are able to twist them a little? I couldn't move mine up and down but I could get them to twist with some pressure.

They are snug up and down with the strut fully extended, but I can twist/rotate them left and right a little. My tech at the dealership said that I have covered everything he can think of. I guess I'll lay underneath it some more, wiggle things and see if there is any other pplaces to pack some grease in.

It's just weird that I can't find it. I seriously thought a little grease in the sway bar bushings would take car of it. I think I've spent more time looking for this squeak than I have installing my entire suspension. She's damn near stripped back to stock except for the exhaust and h-techs.

Let's kick this pig!

Well, as I was under the rear end installing new exhaust hangers and wiggling the exhaust around; I heard something go "boing", like a spring unloading and now I think the squeak is gone. At least I know that all my bushings have fresh grease, WD40 or Silicone in them. The car seems to ride smoother again too. Hopefully it was just something binding a little and it finally got freed up. We'll see.
Let's kick this pig!

A friend of mine had this, he had loose bolts in the front suspension. I'd take it to a dealer and have them make sure everything is snug. His was actually coming from the front end physically moving because of the loose bolts.
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

WD40 is a penetrating oil. I don't know what you used it for, but get under there and put some real grease in there.

Ya, I've put grease(Lucas Red n Tacky #2 with anti-seize) on every bushing I can get to and I've sprayed white lithium grease or silicone on most others. The WD-40 and PB Blaster have just been used on certain joints that needed to suck the lubricant in and then I'll go back and lube them shortly. I've pretty much had the entire front and rear suspension off and on a couple times now. It's gotten better, but there is still a creak at times.

Let's kick this pig!

• 1 month later...
I finally found the problem. Stangely enough it had nothing to do with the suspension. It was the hanger/tab on my DP rubbing againts that DP mount under the transmission. The weld on the tab/DP cracked and the DP started leaking. I took the bolt out and bent the bracket out of the way and the squeak stopped. Now I just need to get that crack welded and figure out a way to flex-mount the DP hanger so it won't crack again.
Let's kick this pig!

What DP?

I have an Autospeed DownPipe. It's actually one of the last produced. It works and sounds great, but the little tab that mounts it to the hanger below the tranny is cracking. I'm getting it fixed today. I'm still trying to engineer a new mount system, but at least the crack/leak will be fixed today.

Let's kick this pig!

• 7 years later...
I have a squeaking crunch noise when I go over bumps too. When driving it is fine but going over bumps It hurts to hear the squeaking. It's like right under the driver seat or somewhere near the front wheel. I scheduled a appointment. The car is only a few months old only 3k miles and have never heard it ever till now so I'm freaking out..mine is a 2016 legacy

Archived