LegacyGT.com

Front end low speed clicking

ssbtech

Hmmm ill admit it seems odd. I've had a number of bad CVs on diff cars over the years and can't say i've ever had one that only clicks in the rain but I guess anything is possible. I can't think of anything else that would only do it wet. Have you looked for bad boots yet? Checking CV boots is quick, easy and free. I'd start there.

Ok... I forgot to ask before... is it a rythmic clicking that gets faster as you speed up? Or is it a totaly random patern? If its rythmic, I'd still bet on CV. They can still be bad with a good boot its just not as common. If its a random pattern then you're prob right about it being suspention related. Could be a strut mount or if you're talking about those slip on ebay coil over spring seats that let you adjust ride hight, it could be that.

Generally, rhythmic clicking with the wheel turned at slow speeds is classic bad CV. Random clicking/banging when hitting bumps is common for bad strut mounts or ball joints.

The engine was just out, the mechanic would have been silly not to have looked at the CV boots then. This started before the engine rebuild.

Why would the CV joints only click when the front-end is wet from rain and not in the dry?

The mechanic would have been silly:lol: Has it occurred to you the impact of water in a boot? The centrifugal force of water in a boot which makes the axle out of balance?

Do not EVER expect a a mech to carefully inspect the boots. They look for oil/grease, not holes in the boot.

Look up how to inspect CV boots. It takes time. You need to move the boots, rotate the axle, inspect again. Stretch them. :)

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

I can appreciate where you're going here, but I get the clicking even when the car has just become stationary, on suspension compression and/or rebound.

It's just one or two clicks, not continuous.

Then put the car on a lift, compress the suspension,and listen with a stethoscope. Remember that the CV joint moves under compression and rebound.

A big heavy guy, on the front of the car, (not the bumper,but on the radiator area) is great

Start with the axle, move to the ball joints, then the carrier, then the steering rack.

Good luck!

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Archived