LegacyGT.com

Left Front Clunking over bumps

Have a 2011 2.5L Premium Legacy with 15k mi and been experiencing clunking somewhere near left front suspension while driving light bumpy roads.

Dealer has twice attempted to find something - as I have by pulling wheel and pulling and prying on everything around the suspension, brake caliper and frame area . Nothing ! everything is tight and fine looking .

Anyone else have this clunking in that left front area ? :confused:

I'm stumped ..........:icon_roll

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have 12,000 miles on mine, and I have something similar - front right, mostly hear it when I start up and begin to roll but not while going over bumps funny enough.

I have that too .... it's a light clumk one time right front - figured it's some solenoid kicking in or something:cool:

Thanks guys for the input ! I have the car scheduled for another dealer look - they have put some radio sensors strapped on in different places and switch to each of them while driving ........ we'll see if that finds it . I think it might be a defective strut shock left front

Front stabilizer bar end-link would be my guess, although I have not heard of them as being an issue on the 2010+ Legacys.

On many makes/models, it's not uncommon for those to go out early and at low miles. No harm aside from clunks over bumps. They're real easy to replace. I know I replaced them on several later model, low mileage vehicles.

Joel

Front stabilizer bar end-link would be my guess, although I have not heard of them as being an issue on the 2010+ Legacys.

On many makes/models, it's not uncommon for those to go out early and at low miles. No harm aside from clunks over bumps. They're real easy to replace. I know I replaced them on several later model, low mileage vehicles.

Joel

Thanks Joel, I checked that and it seems tight ( what a stupid design that little thing is ) I made the noise happen repeatedly yesterday and it's loudest right under my legs driving . Sounds like a hollow clunking - like something is lose in that corner. No difference with ths window open

I think a lot of us have had this. Not sure what is causing it exactly but I agree with many that it may have something to do with the front sway bar bushings or endlinks. I'm replacing my front endlinks with a set of AVOs so I'll let you know if it makes any difference. If not, on to the bushings...

I think a lot of us have had this. Not sure what is causing it exactly but I agree with many that it may have something to do with the front sway bar bushings or endlinks. I'm replacing my front endlinks with a set of AVOs so I'll let you know if it makes any difference. If not, on to the bushings...

Thanks Dew let us know please if it worked ........

Thanks Odlgt ....yea the electronic sensors should help pinpoint the problem if they can find the right road to make the clunking happen

Thanks Scal, I had the car in the dealer again yesteday and they replaced both front caliper pins , which they suspected the first time for the noise. I will let you all know if it worked out to be the problem after I drive it a few days .

This problem is driving me crazy, I'm out looking at new cars... My dealer says it's the brake calipers moving around. I only get the noise under 30-35mph. It gets really bad, then they do a "brake service" and it gets better for a while. They told me it's basically just some grease on the caliper slides that keeps the pads from bouncing until the grease wears off and it starts again.

Oh, and Subaru says this is normal... I'm at 48k miles now on my '10... I really don't want to lose my AWD, but it drives me crazy to drive this car... Luckily my wife drives it on a daily basis, and I'm stuck driving my '02 Toy Sequoia that doesn't have any funny suspension noises!

Love to hear a solution to this...

Mike

Had a similar sound on my 98 accord (yeah I know, totally different car). It was a very hollow clunking sound that I could have sworn was right under my left foot. It only happened between about 10-35mph on washboardy bumpy pavement. It drove me nuts. After putting chassis ears on it and checking everything in the front end, the dealer swore it was a bad strut. Had them replace the front struts which cost me over $450, drove it home, and it still made the sound. WFT? Drove it for another 20k and sold it.

Thanks guys for the input ! So far the caliper pins change seems to have done the trick ! BUT ........ time will tell if it's just a temporary fix and the caliper design is bad or the pins/ caliper are machined wrong from the factory. I'll post again after I get some milage on the repair .

John

Archived