LegacyGT.com

Removing Foglights - with Pics

I am posting this because i just replaced my fogs with PIAA bulbs, and had a hard time figuring out what people were talking about

Tools needed : 10mm Socket

: Phillps head Screwdriver

: Small Flathead

: small pad (optional)

I took an alternate method to remove the foglights... I removed them from the front. You may wish to disconnect your battery before starting

1) Remove the outer foglight cover from around the light. I found it easiest to pry off the side closest to the center of the car, and work my way around the top. Use a pad to avoid scratching the bumper (no pic here)

2) Under your car, closest to the wheel, you will need to remove the black plastic cover almost directly under the foglight.

You will remove 2 pop screws attached to the cover & bumper, and one screw-in popit attached to the frame. Using a small screwdriver (flathead), pop off the inner popit, but you will need to use some force to pry off the entire screw... just work around the entire thing

Use the phillps head to remove the scew attaching the plastic to the frame.

See pics

remove-cover.jpg.2cc381af73c2ddc939ec71813367dfe3.jpg

remove-2.jpg.c4b67d24f1f8c5243d6f1f5b6ec4ee71.jpg

3) Unscrew the two screws from directly under the foglight using a 10mm socket. Now you can slide out the entire foglight assembly from the front...

Detatch the white plug from the enclosure. Hit the center tab to release

fogremoved.jpg.5d6a639c6f96d85cfd96f0033f08f93f.jpg

10mm.jpg.4dc449d227864938774a2375b14187bc.jpg

4) Open the back of the foglight by twisting the black cover 1/4 turn. You can see the arrows helping you (see pic)

5) Remove the WHITE ground plug that connects to the back of the foglight cover, it just pills out (2 pics)

6) Undo the spring holding the bulb to the foglight. The light should now come right out (spring is yellow in pic)

7) Plug the white ground wire for the new bulb in the same place as the stock bulb. Now insert the new bulb in the enclosure.. the square tab is on the top... if you look closely, you can see it will match up with the sections on the bulb & enclosure

insert.jpg.640e86056e429435525870299d6dc5c6.jpg

insert-close.jpg.d1419855eb3166eac2f83bef8bf80e27.jpg

Now reverse all those steps.

Reconnect the wire harness to the foglight, and insert the entire enclosure.. the top of the light is clearly marked on the front.

Screw in the 10mm screws, this will assure your foglight is realigned.

Replace the 2 popit screws and screw in pop screw

Replace the foglight cover... it just pops on.

Finished product (sorry its daytime)

done.jpg.39ee9cfb1eb2fbc294e4e2e86e687c23.jpg

Very innovative! :)

To note, though, it's truly not very hard to get in from underneath the car - I actually did it without even jacking the car up. Certainly, jacking-jackstanding or ramping the car would have made things easier for those who are unfamiliar with bulb-replacement procedures, but even parking the car on a slight incline or locating a slight dip in driveway/lot surface right at the nose of the car would have done the trick on any OEM ride-height LGT.

I was lazy and only parked on a level surface, but was able to do the swap in under 10 minutes. This included trying to figure out bulb orientation (detent tab) as well as trying to squeeze my not-too-small head under the passenger's side front lip so that I could see what I was doing (my non-dominant hand is quite stupid....).

If you're going in from below and do not have the car raised (and secured, of course!), I'd recommend doing the side OPPOSITE your dominant hand FIRST - i.e. driver's side if you're right-handed. This allows you easier access to the fixture with your dominant hand, and thus allows you to quickly learn bulb orientation just by feel.

Here's the original thread, with instructions from going "under" -

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9316&highlight=fog+light+bulb

Going under is, IMHO, much more simple and much faster, even without lifting the car up. But the outise-to-inside way is definitely a viable option.

Nice write-up!

-A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• 5 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...
what are you planning to do?

i plan to get some H3 yellow fog light bulbs in there :icon_cool

gonna get me some Piaa Crystal Ions Yellows fogs(supposed to be very yellow, no fancy bluish colors), which should help with the snow and fog up in the mountains :icon_bigg

(I thought u had those yellow sticky things for the fogs?? did you use them?

In Taiwan now...:spin:

gonna get me some Piaa Crystal Ions Yellows fogs(supposed to be very yellow, no fancy bluish colors), which should help with the snow and fog up in the mountains :icon_bigg

(I thought u had those yellow sticky things for the fogs?? did you use them?

yea i did, but i also want to get some new bulbs, the yellow overlay do make the stock fog yellower, but i suppose with the change of bulb it'll be brighter also

○ ○ ○

Instagram: itshangertime :spin::spin::spin: ○ ○ ○

yea i did, but i also want to get some new bulbs, the yellow overlay do make the stock fog yellower, but i suppose with the change of bulb it'll be brighter also

I'm guessing with the yellow bulbs, it's gonna be darker...just stick to one, either the yellow film or the yellow bulbs...someone who knows chime in :icon_bigg

I am thinking of going to the PIAA yellow H3's... how are they?

The local store wanted $73 CDN for a pair :(

Piaa's got a few models for the H3, I haven't done enough research to know which one is better, but I want to get the yellowest ones (Piaa Crystal Ion Yellow), selling for about $40 on ebay (prior to shipping).

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Once again, thanks for the instructions. I just replaced the driver's side fog light bulb with a standard Phillips H3. I used the take-it-out-from-the-front method with no trouble.

This was much easier than the ominous note in the owners manual would make it seem. I am kinda mad at myself for paying the dealership $25 to replace the passenger's side a year ago...

• 2 months later...

I just followed these instructions to install my new PIAA Yellow bulbs. I would have to say that this method is better than changing the bulb from under the car. This way you can see what you're doing so you don't screw anything up. Plus it's only two bolts more, and they're really easy to get to.

Sticky?

Thanks for the write-up!!! I changed out mine tonight in 14 degree weather and this guide helped me get it done in about 15 minutes. It took longer to set up the Mr Heater than it did to change the bulb.

Thanks again!!!

Five Stars - Would change again!

• 3 weeks later...

I just replaced a blown foglight on a 2006 Legacy GT Wagon with this guide from underneath, thank you so much for the pictures.

Now I am thinking how easy it was to replace with some really good quality H3-55's. I am seeing people say the PIAA are good.

Any recommendations? I want just pure white light if I can to match the look but also give out some decent light to drive with.

Brad

Archived