LegacyGT.com

2015 Legacy Navigation System

15 legacy

I am trying to decide whether or not to get the navigation system when I purchase my legacy since I already have a top of the line Garmin. Does the legacy navigation have any features that Garmins do such as active lane guidance, birds eye junction views or speed limits?

When I test drove one (in town) it had lane guidance... (Active?) and also showed speed limits. I think Garmin has the best Navigation, but I also wanted Push Button Start, Moonroof, Keyless Entry and Eyesight. I generally use Google maps navigation on my phone, for quick places, but still nice to have a built in system on the car. Id say stick with your Garmin, unless you want any of the other Goodies...

I have the navigation in a 2015 limited and I too only got it because it came with the push button. I was a strictly cell phone GPS guy before this but I'm glad to say I purchased it. Here's why:

The graphics on the navigation aren't anything extravagant but they are clear enough to get the job done. You can zoom in or out as needed. Setting up route is accomplished in much the same way that you would on a Garmin by address and number if going to a residence. You can do a local search for businesses without entering addresses. ***You can voice input into the navigation by pressing the talk button and saying something like, "Go to (wherever)".

The navigation will display your common things like arrival time, speed limit, road names that you are traveling on and ones you are crossing. I particularly like the live traffic information, which if you live in an area like Los Angeles or any other congested area will alert you of an upcoming delay. If you play with the navigation at home or when you are parked, you can program it to reroute you around the delay based on how long the delay has been calculated to be. I set mine to reroute me if the delay is longer than 20 minutes. You can also do most basic features that Garmin does, not to forget route planning, point to destination, stop at another location while in route, etc.

Directions are spoken from the navigation, which from what it sounds like when I'm driving, turns down only the speakers which are closest to the driver and preventing from disrupting the experience of everyone else in the car.

I believe that if you get the navigation package, it increases the size of the infotainment panel to seven inches. Other features in the system itself include stocks, weather, traffic and other info which it gains from the satellite system.

In all, I prefer to have the navigation. I don't use up my data plan on my cell and I don't have to worry about how well my garmin sticks to the windshield when it gets hot out here. Just more small conveniences. It turns out you can't just get navigation anyway. It is more than likely going to come with other things, which is how I got it when I asked for a push button start. Ask for the push button start and you are also going to get a Harmon Kardon 12 speaker stereo that sounds awesome. Like you won't have to get an aftermarket stereo system awesome.

Hope this helps.

PS- Everything you asked about, it does (birds eye, lane assist, etc).

Stock factory navigation units cannot compete with aftermarket HU's. Most of the time they are alot cheaper too (aftermarket). Of course with the new interior dash design, I'm doubtful there are any double din kits available right now (but I'm sure more will follow).

2017 Subaru STI

2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i limited

I noted in my dealers spec information that the Nav System Traffic feature was marked "Paid subscription required". Does the Nav system itself require a subscription, or just the extra features. If so, how much is it?

Just the extra features I would assume. Also I believe for the traffic feature you only need a subscription to satellite radio.

I'm a fan that use Google Maps/Waze on my Android phone all the time, since I got the limited legacy with nav, I haven't use the phone map anymore. I usually hates the stock nav like in the benz E350 08 & MDX. But this one is nice! I like it.

16' Legacy Mods: 55w HID + XB35 5500k, LEDS upgrades, XB Type T Fog, 20mm SB.

Custom Footwell Illiminate Kit; http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/15-legacy-outback-footwell-illumination-kit-237567.html

You receive 4 months free of traffic and Sirius's radio but it's an add-on to the Nav system which is SD base. This means it's instant and not using any data plan if that is a concern. I use my Nav and Waze for the traffic and as an extra tool. We also have s Garmin and it is a little easier to use but once to learn the Subaru unit the convenience and the screen size out ways any weakness.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

That kick me off a bit for the traffic part is not a built in. Although the Nav is detailed enough that it show the sunset in the 3D mode.

Custom Footwell Illiminate Kit; http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/15-legacy-outback-footwell-illumination-kit-237567.html

Traffic is dynamic which needs some kind of network access either satellite or Web access and also limited to availability. So using your phone is a better alternative since it precise and localized. I really suggest using the android app called Waze which is owned by Google and social media supported. Sirius satellite I only used for listening to music and since I bought a lifetime membership back in 2003 it been free sailing ever since.

I am annoyed that a buyer is forced to purchase the NAV if you want the any of the packages in the 3.6R and on the Limited. The Premium appears to be the only model where you can add a moon roof without a NAV system, but the car s really bare.

I was ready to trade in my 2011, but I will wait until 2016 to see if there is change in the line up of the packages where I am not forced to buy the NAV

I understand your delima but SOA is marketing their vehicles with the competition and what they offer at a better price line. Put it this way, the limited w/gps and eyesight is really in line with Lexus, Audi, MB, BMW with comparable equipment at a very affordable price. I believe they are trying to get enough Legacy's on the road and in peoples hands to use it as marketing tool and skim of some of those sales.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm a fan that use Google Maps/Waze on my Android phone all the time, since I got the limited legacy with nav, I haven't use the phone map anymore. I usually hates the stock nav like in the benz E350 08 & MDX. But this one is nice! I like it.

Same here.

It has many of the features found in the Garmin/other handheld units and the accuracy/Pluses of Google Maps/Waze together in one unit. I like the traffic functions much better than Waze. The larger screen is nice. I also like the directions on the dashboard between the speedometer and Tach. Very convenient and easy to see while driving

It is well designed. When the voice comes on to give the next directions, it turns down the volume on the radio on the front speakers but not on the back speakers. So the driver can hear the directions while the passengers in the back can still listen to the radio. Many nice touches like that.

Get the Nav, it is worth it. So is the Eyesight.

I myself have a vehicle I picked up which was "In Transit" with the Nav option and I gotta saw while I am looking forward to the convenience of having the function build into the car I'm not sure if I will ditch my Navigon app on my iPhone completely; that thing is GREAT!

Can anyone tell me if playing music via Bluetooth and or using the navigation and a phone call is received does that interrupt the navigation system giving directions? (Sorry if this question has been answered).

I think most likely iPhone user have to go with USB plug now hopefully they push an update to the infotainment system later that allow more streaming through Bluetooth. Otherwise get an Android, better yet look on mirrorlink site for fully supported devices and go from there. Many people's drives luxury cars today without knowing mirrorlink/cardrive(ios) exist.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I think most likely iPhone user have to go with USB plug now hopefully they push an update to the infotainment system later that allow more streaming through Bluetooth. Otherwise get an Android, better yet look on mirrorlink site for fully supported devices and go from there. Many people's drives luxury cars today without knowing mirrorlink/cardrive(ios) exist.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

So the Legacy system doesn't allow Bluetooth streaming with iOS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only reason I got the Nav bec it came with the sunroof. I absolutely don't believe in paying extra for crappy nav systems these days.

So the Legacy system doesn't allow Bluetooth streaming with iOS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's correct. Android BT. IOS USB. As per Manual. I use Android so all is good.

• 3 weeks later...
That's correct. Android BT. IOS USB. As per Manual. I use Android so all is good.

Not correct. I stream Bluetooth from my iPhone on my '15. The cable is only needed if you want to use the built in apps. Same worked for my '12.

---

Not correct. I stream Bluetooth from my iPhone on my '15. The cable is only needed if you want to use the built in apps. Same worked for my '12.

I can confirm this also. Salesman said it didn't do it with iPhones but I was able to no problem.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Follow me on Instagram @CT2015Legacy

Archived