LegacyGT.com

Roof Rack Options

Are there any really good roof rack options for my 2013 Legacy? I'm a avid Downhill mountain biker and my bike is pretty big.

I did a search and Thule does not have an option other than the trunk loading ones... no thanks! I'll check Yakima... but i def want a nice roof rack to carry a bike.

http://www.cargogear.com/OneItemInfo.aspx?partnum=THSULESTVAR12

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Thule-598-Criterium-Upright-Rooftop/dp/B000GT70DK/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=13K71BMTIWV8V&coliid=I3HDHQUEOPC3SL&psc=1]Amazon.com: Thule 598 Criterium Upright Rooftop Bicycle Carrier: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

Considering these.

I bought the OEM rack for my kayak on my '13, works perfectly. I read before that they are actually manufactured by Yakima, but not positive.

About the same price as the basic Thule and a little less than the Yakima Whispbar. Ill try to get better pics for you this week, it does snap in to the doors.

Forgot you're looking for the bike rack as well- 170.00 OEM.

2091279607_Subierack.jpg.7f4876bc88a9b200d6d6a40778149da5.jpg

1395513589_subarubikeacc.jpg.a832b044483b94bde249b05eea1c4101.jpg

I got a hitch and the Thule 917 XT. I like this a lot better than a roof rack, which I have also for the kayaks.. Plus, the Reese Hitch, round bar option, looks real clean under there. Also, FWIW, the hitch is a lot cheaper than the roof rack. There are cheaper low mount hitch racks by both thule and yakima out there. Up to you!

I was putting together a Yakima setup for my car but now I have changed my mind and am selling my bike. I have all 4 Q5 clips for the Legacy with pads and 2 Viper bike rails, wheel forks and a set of 6 matching locks. Everything is almost brand new and was used on my last car only twice. Will sell all of it to you for a good deal. PM me if interested. All you will need is Q towers and crossbars.

OEM rack doenst have fairings, just a couple of stick on things to keep them from singing in the wind. I got a pretty good deal on the bars and two bike holders from one of the subaru parts online places. OEM is most definitly made by Yakima. The bike channel says it right on there.

I have the following Thule system:

ARB53 Bars

480R Feet

1574 Fit Kit

Found this video link of the above setup (not my car)!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0DQwP3o-Sc]2012 Subaru Legacy Sedan with Thule 480R Traverse AeroBlade Roof Rack by Rack Outfitters - YouTube[/ame]

From the looks in the subaru website, the oem rack doesn't use qclips or the like? Is that true? Or do they just not show them on the photos? I don't know what is under the strips of the sides of the roof - somehow used to connect?

The yakima setup is in the video above. Well it's the thule but they both hook the same way. I was reading another thread and it said that the oem has rails that get bolted onto the roof (where that weather stripping is) so the towers are moveable/removeable. I'll try and find it/post it.

Now that I read it, I don't think it's the OEM one but and option:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2745579&postcount=44

The OEM roof rack hooks around the side of the roof and above the door. It is indeed movable, but you'll want some sort of protection for your paint. The OEM rack does come with some film, but the pieces are tiny (barely bigger than the foot of the roof rack) and they do not adhere to the car very well. I had a few spots of paint rubbed away by a few of the rack feet.

When I have some time, I'll reinstall my roof rack and take some pictures with the wife's SLR, including the custom paint protection solution I had put in last year for this coming summer.

The OEM roof rack hooks around the side of the roof and above the door. It is indeed movable, but you'll want some sort of protection for your paint. The OEM rack does come with some film, but the pieces are tiny (barely bigger than the foot of the roof rack) and they do not adhere to the car very well. I had a few spots of paint rubbed away by a few of the rack feet.

When I have some time, I'll reinstall my roof rack and take some pictures with the wife's SLR, including the custom paint protection solution I had put in last year for this coming summer.

So it hooks in the same way as thule and yakima then?

Thule Aeroblade

I have this setup and I'm very happy with it, not to mention the silver finish looks great on my black car.

I'd say it's very secure for my mountain bike, but downhill bikes are substantially heavier than road bikes and typical mountain bikes. I can still carve corners without worrying about my mtb flying off the top of the car. Maybe a hitch mount to be on the safe side?

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a couple pics I snapped for anyone looking at a Yakima set up. Thanks again to GTEASER for hooking me up with some great bike accessories!

Here is the setup:

58" round bars w/Q Towers

Q5 clips (front and rear)

Viper bike trays (front skewer style)

44" wind fairing

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/18/4y5ajydy.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/18/pa5etuzu.jpg

Here are a couple pics I snapped for anyone looking at a Yakima set up. Thanks again to GTEASER for hooking me up with some great bike accessories!

Here is the setup:

44" wind fairing

This is the same setup on the top of my legacy. I can even fit a Rocket Box up there.

153296047_2012Tint.thumb.jpg.5e6dab13ed086260a75cc18a1813ec23.jpg

2012-12-04_16-15-37_67.thumb.jpg.8cefcd9baffa60d842b52349d4b5cd15.jpg

Here is the setup:

44" wind fairing

Looks great!! Glad it all worked out and that you can use it. They were just sitting in my garage gathering dust. Happy Trails!!!

• 3 years later...

Archived