LegacyGT.com

Starting Problems.

I've recently been having some problems with my 05 Legacy GT MT starting. The problems started when I noticed it was taking longer to start. I popped the caps on the battery and some of the cells were low on fluid. I poured some distilled water in there and it seemed to help. The issues started again and I noticed it was low on fluid again two days later. This happened for a few days, and when I could afford it, I replaced the battery and there was a fair bit of corrosion on the terminals so I cleaned them up with some baking soda. The issue started up again. I had Advanced Auto Parts test the battery, starter, and alternator and all of them checked fine, but one of the workers said it still could be the starter going out as "The cars take a lot of power to start". Now, the car has never failed to start. Sometimes it will start up immediately and other times it can take a few seconds of cranking to start. It could start up fine going to work and if I stop at a gas station 1 mile away, it can take a few seconds to start up when I go to leave. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

Sounds like fuel system is loosing prime. Either bad fuel pressure regulator or fuel pump. Get a fuel pressure gauge ( there free to rent at autozone and other parts store or buy one for about $40) turn the key and look at the gauge, it should hold pressure.

My car had trouble starting a couple months ago. Turned out it was a combination of a bad #2 injector (which ultimately threw a P0302 CEL code) and a starter that was on it's way out.

I replaced both and it fixed my problem.

before I threw the code, i guessed that it might have been fuel pump, injector, or starter motor... the usual suspects when you determine that the electrical / charging system is working fine.

More than likely, it sounds like the starter solenoid is going out. Had this same problem on a pervious car. It would start fine some times, and other times it would take several trys to get it going. Had a starter rebuilder look at it and said the solenoid contact points are bad. Had them replaced the solenoid and the starter worked great every time.
My wife's balls are delicious.

From what I remember (it's been several years), it was around $60 with labor. I would recommend taking it to a rebuilder shop and have them look at it first.

Just took quick glance on Ebay, and you could pick up a used one for around $35.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=2005+subaru+legacy+gt+starter&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.X2005+subaru+legacy+gt+starter+solenoid&_nkw=2005+subaru+legacy+gt+starter+solenoid&_sacat=0

My wife's balls are delicious.

Archived