LegacyGT.com

Headlights, I got a praaablem.

bmx045

So I baked and split my headlights the other day, painted the chrome blah blah, baked for a little over a minute, siliconed the SH1T outta the seam, resealed them, all cips are back together, placed a bead of silicone along the outer seams. I'm seeing moisture/fog/beads inside the headlights, these thing are so sealed, I can't fathom why or how water could get in there.

Is it possible that they are too sealed? It's somewhat foggy at times in there. Could there not be enough ventilation causing a greenhouse effect? The other day it started and I took the high beam bulbs out over night and the fog was gone by morning. any ideas? :mad: The weather has been quite humid here too....

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've opened mine up 3 times now and never used silicone to reseal them. All the problems I have heard from this come from people using silicone, so probably, although I have no idea why. Sorry.
"This is an adventure."

Great! I just did this mod yesterday..............................................................................................................................

Just pull the high beam bulbs out to see if it resolves the fogging, if so, you need a vent hole...somewhere. You may not even have a problem.

I dont want to take my dust covers off because i dont want to expose my ballast connection to the harness, seems rather delicate. I will find a solution good sir.

They sound like they are sealed well...but also silicone is one of the worst things to use to reseal headlights. Outgassing could result in a foggy lens. So word of caution to anyone opening up headlights...do not use silicone...for anything. But if you feel the need to add extra sealant, which I highly recommend, use butyl rubber.

I had moisture issues in a set that I did. I ended up pulling them and rebaking them to get the moisture out, 3 years and the problem has not returned. I did not use silicone on them.
"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

Here is 2 pics that show how I reseal headlights...first one shows butyl rubber in the channel with the old sealant...second pic show how they should be clamped after being heated. This method works great. If you need to re-open in the future it is no harder than the first time.

107_0345.JPG

100_0800.JPG

thanks for the pics, how did you get the factory stuff off so well? look so clean! I like that sealant you used....

I reheated the housings in order to pull all the stock stuff off as best I could, because I figured reheating and resealing without adding sealant would be recipe for a leak.... :-\

edit: If this is moisture or gas from the silicone, then would silica even help?

thanks for the pics, how did you get the factory stuff off so well? look so clean! I like that sealant you used....

edit: If this is moisture or gas from the silicone, then would silica even help?

I do keep the factory sealant in place...I just put that over top of it. When I clamp it down it will squeeze out between the two halves and then I just use the cold butyl rubber to release the excess from the outside.

Pic of the sealant...actually used for installing windows. Doesn't harden but it does stay firm.

windo-weld.gif

Silica does not help with the outgassing...thats why I never stopped nor even started using it. I even use butyl rubber to hold the shrouds in place. Good stuff.

coincidentally, the reason i did this whole blackout project was because it was foggy inside my headlights! so I guess we could say it started happening before I did all this. My lenses aren't cracked or anything. It's been very humid here recently, the fog has gotten so bad in some spots that it's bleeding inside, bleeding drops of watah. After removing the high beam bulbs I let the car sit over night, the pass light is foggless now, but the driver's side is still foggy throughout the lense (all the way up to the amber reflecta. I've got 4 silica packets about 1" by 1" in size, I'll stick them in there- they are designed to soak up moisture, hopefully it will expedite the drying process.

put 2 silica packets in and the water drops and fogginess is gone, I don't even want to put the high beam bulbs back in :mad: ugh... anyone know how well silica packets work, do you think they'll work well enough for an enclosed and sealed housing?

Archived