LegacyGT.com

How much is a 05 LGT worth with a blown turbo?

Capt99ws6

Hello, I recently bought a 05 LGT with a blown turbo and was wondering how much it is really worth right now? I am only asking because I am finding out that I really dont have the time to fix it. I work shift work and work 7 straight before I get a day off and dont really feel like messing with the car. It is an 05 LGT Limited with 138k, 5 speed and im the second owner. It is not perfect on the outside but the inside is nice. I am just looking for a ball park price that I could get for it if I do decide to just sell it.

Thanks,

-Ryan

I would love to just buy a used turbo and be on my way! I just dont want to do that and end up blowing another turbo and maybe blowing the engine! Like I said I really dont have the time to do it so im leaning more towards just selling it. MrTris you really think its worth 6800 to 7500? Wow that is alot more than I thought it would be worth. Anyone else have a price range?

Are they still driving it around with a blown turbo?

I personally would want a discounted for damaged mechanically car, that I couldn't fully test out. It's a gamble. If you have looked at the car and feel its worth 4500-5000 then I would offer what you feel its worth to you.

@OP, turbos aren't too difficult to replace, from what I can tell, but then again, YMMV.

I got that figure based on mileage and assumed (good) condition. Subtract 12 or 1300 for a new turbo, and there's your price.

Although we didn't ask -- If the turbo is blown, do you know whether or not its shredded itself and gotten sucked into the motor?

MrTris, yeah I bought it and got it towed to my house and its been sitting in my garage since! The guy I bought it off of said the shaft broke. So I am guessing that there probly is metal in the oil system.

MrTris, yeah I bought it and got it towed to my house and its been sitting in my garage since! The guy I bought it off of said the shaft broke. So I am guessing that there probly is metal in the oil system.

So if nothing has changed since you have bought it... how much did you buy it for?

Just ask for that or a little less if you want to get rid of it fast.

spc2125, I dont need to sell it. I'm not hurting for cash or anything. I just dont think I am gona have the time to fix it. And I bought it for a really good price! When I bought it I knew if I didnt fix it I could sell it for more money than what I bought it for.

spc2125, I dont need to sell it. I'm not hurting for cash or anything. I just dont think I am gona have the time to fix it. And I bought it for a really good price! When I bought it I knew if I didnt fix it I could sell it for more money than what I bought it for.

If you bought it for a good price. Throw $500 for a used turbo and install. Then sell it for a REALLY good price.

Find a local reputable shop. Have it towed to them. Buy used turbo on here. Ship it to shop. Have shop install it. Pick up car. Sell car. Make mucho dinero.

To add a new perspective here; I assume that it's off the road (ie. no insurance, no registration, etc) so not costing you while it's sitting. What are the chances that you'll actually work on it in the next 6 months?

If unlikely you might as well either sell it for what you paid, or put a little cash into getting someone else to getting it running.

Shame there's no 'turbo delete' we can do just to confirm that the engine is basically OK. I did not that there's a cheap 'oil cooler delete' which would be highly sensible if you're going to run it up to check over engine. At an absolute _minium_ drop the oil pan to check for/clean out debris.

If you have an oil pressure gauge to install or just to check with, that would be helpful to check for worn bearings etc... good luck.

As much as I would love to just throw a turbo on it and sell it like that, I would be affraid that I would blow the engine then! My plan when I first got it was to get the engine rebuilt and get a VF52 to have a nice fun daily driver. Right now i'm not sure what I want to do, sell it or just fix it the right way!

• 3 weeks later...

Agree with others. Buy a used turbo or just pay someone to build yours. It takes a while to replace the turbo but it is not difficult work. You need to remove the oil filter in the feed line to the turbo which is probably why it blew. There is a Subaru service/technical bulletin #02-106-08R you can Google. It say replace the filter but just remove it because you don't need it and it only causes problems.

I have a blown VF-40 turbo that is probably rebuildable, only has about 12K mi on it and failed but of the oil screen filter. I will give it to you for free if you pay for shipping. Depending on the shop (or person), it would cost between 250-700 to rebuild a turbo.

If the engine is fine putting on a new turbo is not hard and you would make so much more money I don't know why you would even think about it. Just but a Chiltons or Haynes manual and get to work. It is not difficult to replace the turbo it just takes some time because you have to drain all the fluids. Then you take off the inercooler which is like 5 bolts and you are at the turbo. It takes about 4 hours. Maybe a little more since you haven't done it before but you don't need any special tools and you could do it in a day if you start in the morning. There is no way you would blow up the engine.

If you just want to make money, you could have the stock VF-40 turbo rebuilt for between 250-600 depending on the shop and the damage.

If you bought a VF-52 you would have to have the car tuned but that is an awesome combination. I have a VF-52 on my 06 along with some other mods and it one fast car.

I happen to have a couple of blown VF-40s laying around. One only has about 12Kmi on it and it probably rebuildable. There is a company a1turbo.net that rebuilds turbos close to me that I was going sell them to. If its rebuildable do you want it? They were going to give me $35-50 so you can have it for that, they could rebuild it, ship it to you, and you could swap the turbos in about a day. I think they would charge around $500 but you could call them and ask.

The 1st thing you need to do is replace the filter in the oil feed line to turbo. It gets clogged which is why most of the Subaru turbos fail. Subaru issued a service/tech bulletin #02-106-08R that you can Google. They recommend replacing the filter but you don't need it so just take it out. Its in a banjo bolt and you can but the same banjo bolt without the filter for about $5.

You could ask some shops how much they would charge to put on a turbo. Its not hard it just takes time. The car is definitely worth fixing. Let me know if I can help.

• 5 months later...
Just an update on my car guys. I finally took the turbo out! I then checked the banjo bolt and the screen had a lot of fine metal in it. Now I have to made a choice on what to do with it. I bought a used VF40 for it. I don't know if I just want to chance just flushing everything out and throwing the turbo on and call it a day or just rebuild the engine.

• 3 weeks later...
If you bought it for a good price. Throw $500 for a used turbo and install. Then sell it for a REALLY good price.

Find a local reputable shop. Have it towed to them. Buy used turbo on here. Ship it to shop. Have shop install it. Pick up car. Sell car. Make mucho dinero.

i like this guys idea

Archived