LegacyGT.com

ej22e weak point

i want to do a turbo build this winter. what is the weak point? i know on audi vw engine it is the rods that give first.

i know the ej22e can take 8-10psi stock, so what pops first? trying to stay a higher compression as well. I am only looking for 10-20psi 200-250whp

i want to do a turbo build this winter. what is the weak point? i know on audi vw engine it is the rods that give first.

i know the ej22e can take 8-10psi stock, so what pops first? trying to stay a higher compression as well. I am only looking for 10-20psi 200-250whp

Pistons will be the first to go. The ringlands are a bit thin for high levels of boost.

I am a big fan of Holset turbos. I would do a hx30 size. Holsets are cheap, loud, and reliable....something that isn't often said. If money was no object, I would get oil-less Comp ct2-4747 for very mild power with neck snappy spool. We have a vw 1.8t now 2l and the largest cams available. With a Comp 6062 triplex ball bearing (gtx35r power with gt30 like spool) it wants to shoot past 30psi around 4500rpm. 4th gear still breaks loose with 225's. it just hits and rips tires. Last year we had a Precision 5857 and had lots of issues with oil and slooow spool around 5k rpm

here is a audi 2.2 with a monster holset pro52 :lol:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uyYsLbRrY4]Audi S4 775hp dynorun @ Special Tuning Harinen Oy - YouTube[/ame]

On stock internals? No wai.

Usually threads like this are more... How do I do it without blowing it up... That looks more like max power stuff.

The turbo Ranger guys (my background) ran hy35 and hx35 turbos off of dodge cummins trucks, but that's with full forged internals.

i was thinking just rods...but maybe not...i'll go back through the engine info. its hard to gauge how strong these ej motors are... seems most do sti swaps and just live with that. i am always looking try new ways

in the audi/vw world the weak point is the rods. almost all the factory turbo cars have a forged bottom end stock...so if you just do rods, you can handle 400+. even if you have cast pistons you can still run some boost, just dont crank the timing or run the egt's up. run 93oct and have a good tune.

1.8t's come with dinky little ko3's. on an oem upgraded ko4..you can bend rods with a torque spike if your shooting for 25psi+. because full spool is like 2200rpms. gt2871 will bend rods if your not careful so if you do a t3 super 60 or even a gt30 your safe on stock rods because of the slower spool. guys running around with 30r's stock bottom end, 93oct, 23psi, 350whp all day...but your tune better be spot on. now any bigger...your going to want rods anyways.

We're talking about stock pistons here.

Holsets will turn 22Es w/stock pistons into paperweights in seconds, no questions asked.

Hell, high boost levels will cause a 22E to implode in dramatic order.

As for the hybrid, I would expect it to be no stronger or weaker than a 205 or a 22E, piston-wise, since they are cast.

The weakness still applies.

Pistons will go first, so don't expect too much out of this block.

It is NOT an EJ22T.

There are people using the 22E as replacements for their broken 205 blocks & they are working out just fine.

I'd imagine that 20% extra displacement contributing very well to off-boost power & early spooling up though.

You'd probably have to tune it a little & f**k with the timing a few degrees to get it just right thanks to that extra displacement & higher C/R combined w/boost.

If you set everything up like a 205 though, it WILL run well.

I have an N/A version of this engine in my car (25D heads/22E block) & the stock ECU runs this combination well (It's a little stronger than a SOHC 22E in mid range power & the MPGs are phenomenal for a Subaru period.)

Running a 22E block/205 heads & WRX ECU will open you up to that much more tuning & power possibilities.

i have read your frankenmotor build. seems like the route to go. what kind of power and boost levels do you plan on running? what turbo? what do you think that engine combo can handle? if the pistons are upgraded, what can the block or rods handle? are the guys using 22e's no issues on a chipped/reflashed hp level?

i know alot of questions. just curious on longevity and what could be a true franken 300hp/250whp route without too much aftermarket. I like oem swaps.

I was thinking on going megasquirt at some point to get a good stock baseline tune in while building that engine combo on a stand.

i have read your frankenmotor build. seems like the route to go. what kind of power and boost levels do you plan on running? what turbo? what do you think that engine combo can handle? if the pistons are upgraded, what can the block or rods handle? are the guys using 22e's no issues on a chipped/reflashed hp level?

i know alot of questions. just curious on longevity and what could be a true franken 300hp/250whp route without too much aftermarket. I like oem swaps.

I was thinking on going megasquirt at some point to get a good stock baseline tune in while building that engine combo on a stand.

I originally chose the idea for a DOHC EJ22E because I feel that it is taking the best of both worlds & combining them into one engine.

The first time I did it (to a 5 speed L), I didn't have a clue that it would give me a turbo ready engine.

I just did it because people told me it wouldn't work & because I needed a good engine right at the moment.

If & when I boost my engine, I will be running no more than stock EJ22T boost levels just to see how it stands up (the block has 101+K on it so it should withstand quite a bit) but no more than 15psi though people run it up to about 16-18psi for racing.

People w/22Ts tend to go apes**t w/boost levels.

The turbo kit I pan on getting my hands on will be mixed stock 22T/205 hardware (exhaust header, intercooler, up/down pipes, injectors, etc).

The crank & rods are the exact same units as used in the 22T so those are not weak points as they are very strong (the rods are stronger that those used in the EJ25D).

As for 250whp, you will get that using 205 heads on a 22E block off a good tune, especially using MegaSquirt (I've only seen that in person 6x so I'm not the one to speak with about that but brokindarkagain has used it on his EJ20R swapped Legacy & will be able to give you way more info.)

If you wanted to REALLY be serious about it, you would get those chambers cut to the 22E bore, which would drop your compression & create less hot spots = less detonation while delivering smoother power.

Longevity will be extremely high provided you didn't kick the crap out of it (transmission will probably give out first under a few launches though since our stock 5spds really aren't up to that sort of thing.)

• I Donated
the one to speak with about that but brokindarkagain has used it on his EJ20R swapped Legacy & will be able to give you way more info.)

I heard my name.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

• I Donated

lol the EJ20R sedan was kind of a legend wasn't it?

I have other plans in the works. Within the next year and new and improved monster Legacy will be revealed.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Archived