LegacyGT.com

02' Coolant temp gauge not moving

jras312

I just picked up this 02 Legacy GT Limited and have been doing a bunch of work to fix whatever the previous owner(s) had going on. With 123k miles and a very clean interior, I want to keep her well running and reliable. I just replaced the head gaskets, got the heads machined, new timing belt and pulleys and new seals everywhere. Valve guides were checked out and seem to be ok, I know there are reports of the exhaust valves dropping out.

The temp gauge did NOT work before I did all of the engine work. I noticed some non-oem wiring under the hood and found these resistors wired inline between the gauge and temp sensor. What purpose could these serve? I'm sure this little hack has something to do with why the gauge isnt working.

Engine runs fine and radiator fans come on like normal. So I'm not sure what I need to look for. The electrical service manual shows the white with green wire going from the gauge to the sensor, but does anyone know why someone would put resistors there? Thanks in advance!

IMAG0987.thumb.jpg.dee957cd1f3456193778539a4c2c40ec.jpg

If it were me, I would remove all no oem wiring, returning it back to oem and see what happens. Someone may have been attempting to manipulate the sensor signal for whatever reason. If it has an oem sensor and correct gauge, then the extra wiring should not be needed.

Archived