LegacyGT.com

1992 Subaru Legacy 4wd

So i am thinking of buy a 1992 Subaru Legacy 1.8 STW 4wd and swaping in a 09 impreza wrx sti engine in to it.

So now i have 2 questions of the 92 how much power can the manual transmission in it take and how well will the engine bolt on to it?

that is all, waiting for anwesers

The transmission may work for a while, but it wasn't made to handle that much power. It depends on how careful you are. No one can say how long it will last. And when it goes out (which it will) you will have to swap in a new one. Of course swapping in a sti trans would be the way to go. Your stock trans is not the way to go.

The engine should bolt right on, but that isn't the only thing you will have to worry about. You may need to change the clutch and flywheel since they changed from a push to a pull style clutch. You will need to install a wrx or sti crossmember so the downpipe will clear.

Plus you are going to have do a lot of wiring and get the 09 ecu, or go with a standalone system. Do you have the 09 sti engine already? Can you get the rest of the parts (ecu, wiring harness, trans, axles, crossmember, to go with it?)

The transmission may work for a while, but it wasn't made to handle that much power. It depends on how careful you are. No one can say how long it will last. And when it goes out (which it will) you will have to swap in a new one. Of course swapping in a sti trans would be the way to go. Your stock trans is not the way to go.

The engine should bolt right on, but that isn't the only thing you will have to worry about. You may need to change the clutch and flywheel since they changed from a push to a pull style clutch. You will need to install a wrx or sti crossmember so the downpipe will clear.

Plus you are going to have do a lot of wiring and get the 09 ecu, or go with a standalone system. Do you have the 09 sti engine already? Can you get the rest of the parts (ecu, wiring harness, trans, axles, crossmember, to go with it?)

i have a found a crash car that i could get most of the parts off of it. i don't know how much i can get off it cause haven't been able to see it yet sadly. have been looking at an other crash car it is an 2007 gen 2 wrx, they it runs witch is the key part for this.

Should just buy the whole wrecked car then, or better yet buy a jdm sti engine/ecu/6spd/crossmembers/driveshaft/hubs/brakes and rear crossmember/diff for around 8500$usd. Your trans would snap really quickly then you'd have double the time invested. Do it right the first time and you wont regret it. Id do research but I'm pretty sure you'd have to pull ecm wiring completely out of the donor car and you would need a turbo legacy front crossmember just so the turbo motor will drop in. The exhaust manifold on the turbos require extra clearance on the crossmember.

Archived