LegacyGT.com

Boost Leak at TGV Plate??

Hey All, I'm in the process of getting E-tuned by Shamar and he told me the data log indicated a boost leak. I used a smoke machine to test the intake tract by capping off the intake hose and applying smoke through the BPV diaphragm hose. I found a leak in a very unusual spot.

On the right head (passenger side), the TGV assembly has what looks like a block off plate of some kind on the end closest to the turbo. At first I thought it might be the inlet hose leaking but it definitely seems to be coming from the bottom edge of this plate. Is there some kind of gasket or O-ring under this plate that may be leaking? I didn't see any cracks or anything in the housing. The TGV's are factory AFAIK.

I need to get this fixed ASAP hopefully without having to pull the manifold. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've enclosed some pics. The plate is in the middle of the pic and is secured by two phillips head screws. The black hose to the left is the turbo inlet. Thanks

1979912400_Boostleakblockoffplate1.jpg.886be4ee3e1c8cdf77383fc7231c11ec.jpg

1346718798_BoostleakBlockoffplate2.jpg.7e99b00072f099084a1ccb0c9fc75759.jpg

BTW the grey stuff on there is some gasket maker that I put on to hopefully seal it but I wiped off because I didn't have time to let it dry. I'm going to reapply it tomorrow morning and let it dry while I'm at work.

Just as a follow up......

I used some JB Weld to seal the plate without removing the manifold. Removing the engine cover and turbo heat shield allowed me to get a clear shot to apply the JB with a screwdriver, coolant hose pick and a mirror on an extendable rod. I used JB weld because it had the highest listed temperature resistance of the epoxy like glues.

The new logs are in and so far so good. No more boost leak! :) I'll continue to monitor it, but hopefully the JB will hold up in the long run.

Archived