LegacyGT.com

Might be the end of the line for my Subie

TheWeatherWarrior

After working for nearly two months (slow paced work) I've come to conclude (as suspected) the head gaskets have failed.

Because at the moment I don't have a garage to do the work, and an HOA that would restrict me from doing the work at my home outside, the only option for me would be to have the work done by a shop. I'm making calls, checking pricing of various options, but the overall cost to have a reliable answer to the problem seems to be around $1600+. The age of the vehicle doesn't seem worth it. I've even set-up a GI part-out thread in case I decide to go that route:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/md-1997-legacy-gt-wagon-2-5-auto-gi-part-156839.html?t=156839

I probably will go without a car in the near term (using the Mom's PT) while deciding what to replace the Subie with...another Subie, or something more efficient (seeing how the gas prices is skyrocketing). Might have to give up AWD for MPGs.

^ you paying...I'm broke, now lack mobility for my business.

Left fog is good, right side bad (may be restorable, it was newish when I bought, but failed again. previous owner worked on it. I think folks with these years are best dumping the OEM fogs...they seem to crap out A LOT.

Be sure to visit the part out thread (link if first post) for details however. That's where the deal will go down on all the stuff.

Thanks....yeah, but if I do get another Subie, I want to be DAMN sure it's one that can get 30mpg! Otherwise I'll have to forgo AWD for MPGs now.

Go 2.5i PZEV. One of my co-workers here has one. He says he gets pretty damn good gas mileage, 28 mpg on average HWY driving with his iron foot. :lol:

Actually, if you want, I can help front the cost at the DIY garage to get the head gaskets replaced. If there is someone here that can help out with dropping the engine, removing the heads, and installing the gaskets, and has done this for a fact, I'll help pay the fee at the DIY garage.

what kind of shape is the windshield trim and both front door trim strips (where the window meets the door skin on the outside) - both with the black crinkle-finish? Interested if they're in good shape
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I actually may have found a source of funding the repairs. I have to do some serious work later, but some of the money is getting fronted.

DPS is likely going to do the work. IAG had too long a lead time.

Harry...that was a great offer. I appreciate that. If anything at this point, just need to find some side work (construction, video, architecture design..and other personal talents) to make up the costs. I still have my chase expedition in may I need to fund.

Well if it is going to DPS Tuning, then looks like they are giving him a very damn good price to replace the head gaskets.

But yeah, like fly said, if you feel like working on it yourself, DIY is the best place. Only problem is having the right help down there to speed up the process. Otherwise you're better off going with DPS.

Archived