LegacyGT.com

No Dash Light?? Help!

So awhile back my buddy gave me an underseat subfrom his wrx, I wired it all in, worked great, got in my car after work and the dash lights wouldnt turn on. Turned the headlights off and voila! they were on! wtf? turned the headlights back on, and they went off again, stuck my hand in behind the stereo to check for a loose connection and bam! they came back on. whatever I thought and went on my way. occasionally however they would shut on and off much like a loose connection. So today I pulled it all apart and using butt terminals and the stereo pinout (http://ae64.com/Legacy-pinout.htm) connected it all back together. stereo works great but now absolutely no dash lights. checked the illum. fuse and it was good, along with all the others. I did not use the illum, dimmer, or power antenna wires and just taped the end over to stop them from contacting anything. I thought this might be my problem but i had it like that before when the dash lights were working? also, there is a second plug in that ties into the stereo harness that has the same color coded wires as the illum and dimmer wires, could this be part of my problem? any help appreciated!

• I Donated

There is a yellow wire somewhere in there with a black or brown stripe (if I remember right) that needs to be grounded in order for the dash lights to work.

I came across this problem on one of my second gens several years ago and it took me quite awhile to figure out. It happened because one of the previous owners did a piss poor job wiring in the aftermarket radio.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

i got it figured out lol, the yellow wire/blue stripe had to be grounded. Actually got it and then checked it but thanks for the help! My dash lights are still non adjustable but ehh, i always have them on high anyways so for now itll stay.

Archived