Legacy Maintenance Guide

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

i have a question regarding maintenance of the interior:

i had the steering wheel replaced on my LGT, and i was just curious to see if anyone knows how to keep the leather from fading/tearing/wearing down? the steering wheel before had visible leather fade and wear from sweat and oils.

is the entire steering wheel made of leather? it feels like only the middle inner part is made out of leather and the outer part is of some other material. anyone have any idea?

• 5 months later...
I'm pretty sure the whole thing is made of leather, except for the middle piece where the horn is. My car has almost 60,000 miles and the steering wheel looks great. I think a big thing would be how clean peoples hands are. If you have a dirty job, just keep some handy wipes in your car. Other than that, just care for it like any other leather, conditioner and don't scrape it with your keys, zippers etc.

hey. i need help, i just changed my engine, radiator and thermostat, i dont know whats haeppening because my car is heating up, i went to the mechanic and they dont know, all the water from the radiator is going to the plastic tank and when that happen it starts to heating up

hey. i need help, i just changed my engine, radiator and thermostat, i dont know whats haeppening because my car is heating up, i went to the mechanic and they dont know, all the water from the radiator is going to the plastic tank and when that happen it starts to heating up

Head gaskets??

Chances are we wont know either being you replaced the engine. Maybe taking it to a competent shop that deals with Subaru's?

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Based on reading your message, I'm betting it's not something you can fix yourself. ;) Obviously the coolant is not circulating through the engine, but since it's possible the problem could be with the hoses, radiator, thermostat, gaskets, and water passages in the engine, it's impossible to tell you where to start.

99% sure its a headgasket, had the same thing happen to a used 98 wagon we just got

• 2 weeks later...
damn! but how come, the engine has 30ooo miles in it i just change it, the fans have to do something with it?

Possibly, but it does sound like a head gasket. You should probably take it to a subaru dealer and at least get them to diagnose the problem.

• 4 weeks later...

I was just told by the dealer that Subaru doesn't recommend synthetic oil.

What's up with that? I can't imagine a situation where syn would be inferior to reg oil.

Are they just trying to keep them from lasting forever or what?

Mines an XT. They'll have to have a real good reason for me to not protect my turbo with syn. oil.

Anyone have any experience with this?

I've heard this kind of thing off and on for years, about all different brands of vehicles and oil. I think it's amazing how misinformed people are and how many people cling to old rumours just to instill fear in people. It gives them some sort of feeling of power. Refer to your owners manual and if Subaru doesn't specifically say to not use synthetic oil, then go ahead and use it with confidence that you know it's better than conventional oil.

What's up with that? I can't imagine a situation where syn would be inferior to reg oil.

Mines an XT. They'll have to have a real good reason for me to not protect my turbo with syn. oil.

There are a couple of very in depth threads on this topic. Search them out and set aside a couple of hours, and you can get every point of view on the subject.

All Subaru requires is that you use an approved oil and the right viscosity. You can use Synthetic as well and follow the maintenance guidelines. Refer to your owners manual. Like it has been mentioned, there are threads on this.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

• 6 months later...

Also a reminder for those with 2009 Legacy and LGT/B, you have the Subaru Super Coolant(blue), the first coolant exchange is 11yr/137500. After that exchange the coolant every 6yr/75,000.

If you use this in your pre-09 vehicle, the coolant exchange is done every 30 months/30,000. This is due to the fact your coolant system still has a mixture/residue of the old green coolant in it. However, if the place that services your car uses a Wynns Power Flush III coolant flush machine, you can exchange it every 6yr/75,000 miles being that machine is approved by SOA and removes all old coolant/residue(per TSB 01-166-08).

01-166-08

09-50-07

**Disclaimer- I am merely passing this info along. If you disagree, or want to debate the issue, I don't care. Argue with yourself. It is your car and your responsibility.**

Edited by blackfang

• 1 month later...

BLACK FANG... COOL STUFF.... SUBARU going for the 11 year no flush.

That is a huge difference from my regular schedule of doing it every year just before SUMMER TIME heat comes.

Very interesting...thanks for the info...

Also... whats up with "JOSPGUT" and his 12 posts.

I guess he never really joined the lgt.com family.

I wonder if he found out what was wrong with his car.

• 3 months later...

Just went to the Subaru dealer this morning to get their "super coolant". My dealer says it's not for use in pre-'07 vehicles and tried to sell me a very overpriced jug of green. Didn't go for that.

By the way, the "blue" only comes in 50-50 pre-mix, AT $29.99 a GAL.!! I'm glad it's not "required" for my year. And I saw the little bottles of "HOLTS" cooling system sealer relabeled as Subie coolant conditioner.:icon_roll

Kudos to the member who caught that.

And I'm sick of trying to make sense of Subie's screwed up maint. sched.

I'm doing everything now at 30K:Oil & filter,brake fluid, Tranny & diff oils,coolant.

Maybe even plugs, though it runs good now(except in hot weather:mad:) All the inspections get done more frequently than required anyway. As a mechanic, I know what it means to catch things early.

Just wanted to help clear a couple of things up...

The car is exactly the same.

So you CAN use the blue stuff in the Pre-07 vehicles.

The problem is that most dealerships have not invested the money in a three chamber super clean flushing system.

Subaru doesn't want you using the super blue stuff and going 11 years before your next coolant change if you haven't taken every single drop of the old stuff out of the car.

So that is why they tell you it can't be used in older cars.

I asked my dealer specifically about the machine referenced in the tech bulletin and they admitted they did not have the machine yet.

In addition I think even if you use the super blue they lower the interval after first time you change coolant so it might not be worth it anyways.

The green stuff is good. It is concentrated and all you need is the ONE bottle and some distilled water from Walmart for $1.29.

Just went to the Subaru dealer this morning to get their "super coolant". My dealer says it's not for use in pre-'07 vehicles and tried to sell me a very overpriced jug of green. Didn't go for that.

By the way, the "blue" only comes in 50-50 pre-mix, AT $29.99 a GAL.!! I'm glad it's not "required" for my year. And I saw the little bottles of "HOLTS" cooling system sealer relabeled as Subie coolant conditioner.:icon_roll

Kudos to the member who caught that.

And I'm sick of trying to make sense of Subie's screwed up maint. sched.

I'm doing everything now at 30K:Oil & filter,brake fluid, Tranny & diff oils,coolant.

Maybe even plugs, though it runs good now(except in hot weather:mad:) All the inspections get done more frequently than required anyway. As a mechanic, I know what it means to catch things early.

I changed my coolant for the first time in my 2006 last weekend. I bought the green stuff because that is what was in there and that is what they gave me at the dealership when I told them the year. And I added the "special" Subaru conditioner which I'm sure is re-branded something or another. Old coolant had 65K on it, and was pretty clean when it drained. Overall, a super easy thing to do on the Legacy, cheap, and uneventful. I might change it more often now that I've discovered out how easy it is. I'll probably shoot for 50K intervals starting at 100K for that and the plugs since I did the plugs at 50K and they looked almost new.

@SpecB:What I meant is that I was glad I wasn't required to drop $60 bucks for a coolant change. That's gouging, I don't care what's in the jug.

And is Subie's green somehow different from generic green? If not, is there any reason not to just use one of the new long life coolants like Peak Global?

Those are made specifically to avoid the corrosion caused by green type coolant.

I'm just asking because it's near impossible to separate what actually matters from Subaru just trying to screw you on some dealer priced BS. They remind me of Caterpillar, if you didn't buy it from them, it'll ruin your motor.:icon_roll

Like the Holt's Rad sealer.:lol: If I ever had to do something like that to an engine I just built, it would embarrass me right out of the business.