On two of his wheels...

He priced out repairing wheels and

either wants to repaint them or powdercoat

them.

Ignorant about the powercoating process,

I couldn't suggest that at the moment so Im

Asking the forum?

Which is better?

Would powdercoating weaken his alloy rims?

There are many companies that do this service here

For painting approx $120 a wheel, $160 for powder coating.

He lives in NJ where at least 4 months of the year,

Salted roads for winter...so I'm not sure aside from

Buying new ones...what advice to give.

Opinions? Advice? What would u advise?

Spend the extra 40 bucks and get them powder coated. Some say it weakens the the wheels when baked at high temps when PC'd, but it just depends who you talk to. Regular paint flakes and fades and will need to be touched up more often. Just my 2¢..

Definitely powder coat. Much more durable. Sure in theory they can weaken the aluminum but in actually they won't with the heat cycle needed for powder coating. Most cure at 375-400 for 15-20 minutes. Maybe if doing it at 500+ for a couple hours or something. But nothing at all to worry about!

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

Moddiction Stainless steel and Titanium shift knobs.

Drivetrain, suspension, brakes, exhaust, cooling, fuel, gauges+MUCH more!

160 per wheel or total?

Maybe I just got lucky but most of my local places want 65ish a wheel. 360 total with center caps.

Definitely powder coat though

That price is per wheel. The only thing cheap in New Jersey is

the Gas! $3.17 regular here.

I would powdercoat mine for $360 total. That seems like a steal!

All prices in NJ are inflated to feed our starving Governor!

Powdercoating is fine.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

• 2 weeks later...

WTF, $160 a wheel? it costs roughly $100/wheel to hand polish and even rotiform charges $80/wheel to powder coat.

as far as structural integrity goes, the baking process for powdercoat can weaken the integrity of a forged wheel but it is perfectly fine for cast wheels. or vice versa. but either way, you'll be fine

as far as structural integrity goes, the baking process for powdercoat can weaken the integrity of a forged wheel but it is perfectly fine for cast wheels. or vice versa. but either way, you'll be fine

No, it's fine for all wheels.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

• 2 years later...
I just rec'd a $400 quote from an outfit in the south eastern MA area to get my curb-rashed OEM ten-spoke wheels powder coated. They said the choice of color may effect pricing, which I think is a reasonable point. My 3.6R is steel silver colored so there's not much I would want to do color-wise, other than gunmetal or anthracite. I can't vouch for this shop yet but the initial contact was quick, professional and to-the-point. It doesn't hurt that they're located 2 miles from work either. Funny thing is, new aftermarket wheels seem to cost just about as much. The original ten-spoke is a good looking wheel. It's sad the the OO wasn't very good at negotiating the curbs but the wheels are not wasted. Should I keep it closer to stock and just do this?

I just rec'd a $400 quote from an outfit in the south eastern MA area to get my curb-rashed OEM ten-spoke wheels powder coated. They said the choice of color may effect pricing, which I think is a reasonable point. My 3.6R is steel silver colored so there's not much I would want to do color-wise, other than gunmetal or anthracite. I can't vouch for this shop yet but the initial contact was quick, professional and to-the-point. It doesn't hurt that they're located 2 miles from work either. Funny thing is, new aftermarket wheels seem to cost just about as much. The original ten-spoke is a good looking wheel. It's sad the the OO wasn't very good at negotiating the curbs but the wheels are not wasted. Should I keep it closer to stock and just do this?

That is a good price for fixing rash and PC wheels. I am paying $540 to have my 19" wheels powder coated, tires mounted and balanced. Granted they are larger wheels than yours but there is some small rash which the guy said wont be a problem. I would go powder coat because you will have a diff color you like and the finish will be better/more durable than OEM.

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

:lol:

Archived