LegacyGT.com

Best oil for new engine break in?

Just read after I asked about royal purple that our engines don't like it.....I've only used that on my other cars. I am getting a new engine, is there a oil best suited for break in period? I love in pgh pa if anyone needs to know my climate

It doesn't matter.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Run a motul or castrol 5w30 than switch to a 5w40 .

Pretty much what I did. Castrol GTX

A lot of us change the oil & filter after the 1st 20 minutes of run time. than after 500 miles.

Than after another 1000 miles, then after another 1500 then go to 3500 miles OCI.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I rebuilt my engine in november, currently breaking it in running Castrol GTX 10w-40. Did the first oil change after the car ran for about 30 mins, will change the oil again with conventional at 1000 kms. Then at 3500 kms I will be switching to Motul 5w-40. Like others said, make sure to keep a close watch on your oil level, and keep in mind that the break in period is very important and will determine how well the engine performs and lasts in the future.

Btw you are getting a new engine as in a used one with lower kms? or building your motor?

Mobile 1 for 30 miles but ran the car hard to seat rings (thats what the shop put in)

Amsoil break in for 200 miles then another 200 miles

Then 600 miles on Rotella T (not the T6, just the T)

Amsoil Break-In is a straight weight and has very high levels of zinc?? and Rotella T has high levels too compared to 'normal' oil from what i heard

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

It doesn't matter.

What does matter is not running the engine at a constant rpm or over-revving the engine for the first 500 miles. I have used Mobil 1 on 3 cars since day one and all have no problems with oil consumption or rings seating. Porsche and Corvette use synthetic as a factory fill, so they're not buying the dino plan.

I rebuilt my engine in november, currently breaking it in running Castrol GTX 10w-40. Did the first oil change after the car ran for about 30 mins, will change the oil again with conventional at 1000 kms. Then at 3500 kms I will be switching to Motul 5w-40. Like others said, make sure to keep a close watch on your oil level, and keep in mind that the break in period is very important and will determine how well the engine performs and lasts in the future.

this is what i did except i stayed with motul 10-40

Btw you are getting a new engine as in a used one with lower kms? or building your motor?

rebuilt with a 3 yr/unlimited mileage warranty....i triple checked and checked again, the unlimited mileage warranty is correct...and im getting a new turbo to be safe, the garage is taking good care of me...

Subaru factory fill for 5000 miles did us well.

We have a happy stock 05 LGT 5mt wagon with 150k and no internal motor work and original turbo. We use 3k OCI with random dino. Does not burn anything in that short interval.

Def dont use mobil 1

Your car will explode :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

:rolleyes:

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

ok motul it is...

It truly does not matter.

Consider how many people have an opinion of one oil over another. Some people have problems with one brand, but others don't. Zoom out on the data, and you'll notice that there is no "right" choice.

Pick your favorite flavor. If the car responds poorly, try a different brand.

Personally, I use Motul because I get a good deal on it. If I didn't, I'd just use whatever synthetic I could get a good deal on.

It doesn't matter.

Archived