LegacyGT.com

Need help to remove the bulb from the 3rd brake light

Throttlejockey

I have the spoiler on mine and want to remove the bulb from the third brake light. Any suggestions? The manual says to have the dealer replace the bulb if there's a problem. It looks like you have to remove the entire upper back panel to get to it, there's no access from underneath. It seems like you have to remover the back seat (upper) to get the panel out.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've attached a photo I just took of the inside of the trunk. The green ellipse is directly underneath the third brake light. The black tab that protrudes through has an arrow (highlighted in green) on it that points towards the rear seat. It looks like the rear seat back needs to be removed so that whole back shelf can be pulled forward, up and out.

Chris S.

2042766472_BRAKELIGHT.JPG.9b3a73dfd7212d504630a25e9b52f031.JPG

Guest *Jedimaster*
Well that's overly complicated. Maybe see if one of the guys who downloaded the service manuals can help you out.

A possible solution, although not having a Legacy I can't guarantee success. On Camrys and other newer cars, the highmount housing is held in by two clips on either side. Basically, you squeeze the plastic housing on the left and right to disengage the clips and pull up. Perhaps this might work. I can't believe Subaru would make this an overly complicated procedure. Seems unlike them.

A possible solution, although not having a Legacy I can't guarantee success. On Camrys and other newer cars, the highmount housing is held in by two clips on either side. Basically, you squeeze the plastic housing on the left and right to disengage the clips and pull up. Perhaps this might work.

I can't believe Subaru would make this an overly complicated procedure. Seems unlike them.

Close... Subaru went fore and aft instead of side to side. Here is the access method:

Stick your thumbnail under the lip of the brake light and lift. Mine had a bit of hot glue (or something) to keep it attached but I pulled firmly and it came up.

PICT0747_small.JPG.b5ee7ba0058c9a2d25a8913d0a5a7907.JPG

PICT0748_small.JPG.737fa0bb938e2ef802a369388cf39098.JPG

PICT0745_small.JPG.a87790b8c1bb27f4ee8ab005c9fa0a5c.JPG

PICT0743_small.JPG.3d807aa20d6634b656e7bc24c820638f.JPG

PICT0744_small.JPG.58a91142e7a8500f52c6cf9865fc06c2.JPG

At least ya don't have to take out the rear deck. Those holes kinda suck, though. I wonder if someone could fab up some sort of plastic plate, and mount an XM/Sirius antenna there, or find some other something to mount over top of those holes, and keep the CHMSL somewhere else, such as in the spoiler...

[quote name='eamiller']On the silver GT Lim that I drove, it had a spoiler installed at the factory. They make a flat filler plate that covers those holes in the deck. Might check with the parts counter for one.[/quote] Aren't they all installed at the factory? Every GT sedan I saw at the dealers lots had spoilers and all had the 4th stoplight intact.

[quote name='eamiller']On the silver GT Lim that I drove, it had a spoiler installed at the factory. They make a flat filler plate that covers those holes in the deck. Might check with the parts counter for one.[/quote] Don't happen to have a part number for that do ya? My parts guy hasn't heard of one. TIA!

[quote name='TLS'][quote name='eamiller']On the silver GT Lim that I drove, it had a spoiler installed at the factory. They make a flat filler plate that covers those holes in the deck. Might check with the parts counter for one.[/quote] Aren't they all installed at the factory? Every GT sedan I saw at the dealers lots had spoilers and all had the 4th stoplight intact.[/quote] No. I had the dealer install my spoiler.

Interesting.... I thought they were a factory option only. I see mention of a "lip spoiler", yet never saw a picture of one until I just looked at the top of THIS page as I type now. There is a silver or white Legacy with different wheels on it.....it has a nice low spoiler on it, and....a rear wiper??? CooL!

[quote name='TLS']Interesting.... I thought they were a factory option only. I see mention of a "lip spoiler", yet never saw a picture of one until I just looked at the top of THIS page as I type now. There is a silver or white Legacy with different wheels on it.....it has a nice low spoiler on it, and....a rear wiper??? CooL![/quote] That's the JDM legacy spec-b

Well on my MY01, I asked the dealer to just remove the cable/globe. The only drama with just removing the globe as it throws an error when checked that the blub has gone out. You may need the correct code by the dealer to cancel this error message. Good Luck Adam

[quote name='agctr']Well on my MY01, I asked the dealer to just remove the cable/globe. The only drama with just removing the globe as it throws an error when checked that the blub has gone out. You may need the correct code by the dealer to cancel this error message. Good Luck Adam[/quote] I removed the interior 3rd brake light bulb last night, and haven't seen any sort of warning light.

• 6 months later...
[quote name='eamiller']On the silver GT Lim that I drove, it had a spoiler installed at the factory. They make a flat filler plate that covers those holes in the deck. Might check with the parts counter for one.[/QUOTE] BUMP Anyone know if this plate exists?

• 2 months later...
I have a spoiler that was installed at the factory but my dash third brake light is lit and the spoiler light is dead. I had tint installed (before I purchased the car) and they removed the dash light while intalling the tint and replaced it. If the third brake light is reconnected will the spoiler brake light be disabled for some reason. I think they may have reconnected the dash light. What would be the best way to know if the wiring is unhooked in the trunk lid? I hate to pull those push tabs out and break something. Thanks for the help in advance. It looks like I am the first person to experience this. Kevin

• 2 years later...
This thread is useful!:) Now I got my third brake light housing off....how do i get to the bulb? Saw a few tabs holding the red lens and inner housing...but which one of these tabs do i pry and in which sequence? Don't want to break the flimsy plastic pieces. Thanks!

Archived