LegacyGT.com

Replace radio, add backup camera (Subaru brand)

Hey all.

I have a '14 Legacy that I leased when my old car wouldn't pass inspection. I am contemplating buying the car out however it's not really optioned how I would like as I needed to get into something fast and cheap. If I can upgrade a couple things, that would certainly be cheaper than starting over with buying a new car. At least it came with rims and fog lights :-/

I would like to upgrade the radio to the best one they offered for the year and add the rear view camera. My question is will this be plug and play? I'm assuming that the wiring for the camera will already be there as well as for the radio. Thanks for the help!

I am of the opinion it would be cheaper and easier and more fulfilling to go with an aftermarket one with specs you want. The stock one leaves a lot to be desired and depending on what stereo you have installed may require some wiring/ other parts to work correctly.

^^^ yup,yup

after market is the way to go. more options, better sound quality and possibly cheaper overall.

Based on my experience with installing a rear camera in the trunk. There probably isn't a hole for the OEM one and it will need to be drilled. Then the cabling will need to be pulled from the trunk lid up to the center console. It wasn't hard to do, just the fact to have to drill into the body made me uneasy.

after market is the way to go. more options, better sound quality and possibly cheaper overall.

Yup, yup, yup, EXCEPT speakerphone options. No aftermarket solutions use the stock speakerphone microphone, and thus, the aftermarket solutions will most likely be inferior to the stock speakerphone.

For example, the speakerphone on my Pioneer App Radio 4 is substantially worse than the stock speakerphone.

Yup, yup, yup, EXCEPT speakerphone options. No aftermarket solutions use the stock speakerphone microphone, and thus, the aftermarket solutions will most likely be inferior to the stock speakerphone.

For example, the speakerphone on my Pioneer App Radio 4 is substantially worse than the stock speakerphone.

I had the Subaru Blueconnect system when I bought my LGT. I ripped it out along with the stock mic. I used the one that came with my Pioneer AVH-P4400BH. The space where the Blueconnect was has been replaced by a OEM rubber mat. It's like it never existed, only remnant is the mic mount on the steering column.

IMHO...The smallish speakers on the blue connect were scratchy and under powered. The interface was not user friendly either. The aftermarket was better in user interface. I never had any complaints about the quality from anyone on the other end.

Oh, and terrestrial radio reception for some reason has been far inferior compared to the stock system. I haven't thought about figuring it out yet but there's gotta be a solution other than a crappy booster.

I seem to remember some stock systems have an antenna amplifier. If it wasn't for my clueless ears loving my stock HK system I might be looking to upgrade as well.

It also depends on which system the OP has as to the quality of the microphone, I have never had complaints from mine which is in the overhead console. Some are mounted in the stereo.

I had the Subaru Blueconnect system when I bought my LGT. I ripped it out along with the stock mic. I used the one that came with my Pioneer AVH-P4400BH. The space where the Blueconnect was has been replaced by a OEM rubber mat. It's like it never existed, only remnant is the mic mount on the steering column.

IMHO...The smallish speakers on the blue connect were scratchy and under powered. The interface was not user friendly either. The aftermarket was better in user interface. I never had any complaints about the quality from anyone on the other end.

Yep, I wasn't talking about the BlueConnect system - I heard that one stinks.

Thank you for the replies!!

Yeah I don't have that bluconnect thing. My major reason for going with OEM components was making sure everything works that I currently have. I still want the steering wheel controls to work and don't want to have a 2nd screen just for the backup camera. I'll do some searching around and see what I can figure out.

Now if I could just figure out how to add a factory sunroof........

Thank you for the replies!!

Yeah I don't have that bluconnect thing. My major reason for going with OEM components was making sure everything works that I currently have. I still want the steering wheel controls to work and don't want to have a 2nd screen just for the backup camera.

Maintaining steering wheel controls is no problem nor is using an aftermarket screen for a backup camera.

Archived