LegacyGT.com

Falling On It's Face

I'm running stage 1 ACN and I cannot help but notice the car just falls on it's face around 5.5-6.5K.

Is there any way to fix this? I hate the power band. This morning I dropped it, revs spike, and car just sits there until I reach red and shift to the next gear. It's as if I'm better to treat the car like it has a 5K redline.

Why is the map lowering boost close to red? I realize everyone is going to say 'protect the motor' but I'm not buying it. It should run 14-15psi till red. We have a BOV to protect stuff on shifts.

Thoughts?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The stock turbo can only push so much air. Restrictive intercooler and downpipe don't help the cause either.

Agreed. If you want to fix your powerband, go stage 2. There's not necessarily anything wrong with your car.. The airflow of the stock exhaust is so restrictive that the engine can't breath- My peak power runs from 3200rpm to 4500rpm, if I'm lucky. I never pull past 5k- on a stage 1 tune there isn't much point. I'm going stage 2 this weekend- I'll make sure to let you know how it feels.

I'm running stage 1 ACN and I cannot help but notice the car just falls on it's face around 5.5-6.5K.

Is there any way to fix this? I hate the power band. This morning I dropped it, revs spike, and car just sits there until I reach red and shift to the next gear. It's as if I'm better to treat the car like it has a 5K redline.

Why is the map lowering boost close to red? I realize everyone is going to say 'protect the motor' but I'm not buying it. It should run 14-15psi till red. We have a BOV to protect stuff on shifts.

Thoughts?

I know you kids like high red lines, but, if you look at almost all non race printouts, the torque drops right off after 5-6k.

There is fast, and there is quick. Learn to know the difference:)

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

I'm stage1 and it's smooth all the way up to about 5,500 RPMs, then it starts fad a little. This is usually my shift point to stay within the powerband.

Otherwise, take a look at your data log, this should give you an idea what's going on.

My wife's balls are delicious.

I literally just became disappointed with my LGT about 15 minutes ago after I realized that Stage 1 is not enough to keep me happy. She falls right on her face and there is no more.

Stage 1 has helped but this little VF40 is no good for my tastes.

Sad am I. :soap_box:

I know you kids like high red lines, but, if you look at almost all non race printouts, the torque drops right off after 5-6k.

There is fast, and there is quick. Learn to know the difference:)

You're likely younger than me.

I'll probably lower the redline to force a sooner shift in the auto. This is my winter car. I wouldn't own it but it'd cost too much to switch. Bit of an F U to the ex-wife that I got it.

its called optimal shift point......just cause there is a redline doesnt mean you shift at redline. When you accelerate you are feeling TQ, thats why it feels quick from 3K-5K rpms and then tq plummets. Having a 5eat doesn't help that feeling at all. Quick is TQ and Fast is HP, like someone said there is quick and there is fast, a big difference. These turbo's were put on a car meant to be driven in stock form. The avg person does not drive spirited so a turbo designed for dd will produce more low end power as that is the reality of the cars use. If you want more up top you need a bigger turbo, you can adjust the boost and hold whatever psi you want at redline but if anything you will just be turning it into a hair dryer and run it past its efficiency level.

You're likely younger than me.

I'll probably lower the redline to force a sooner shift in the auto. This is my winter car. I wouldn't own it but it'd cost too much to switch. Bit of an F U to the ex-wife that I got it.

Unless you are on Medicare and SS, you are younger than me:lol:

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

its called optimal shift point......just cause there is a redline doesnt mean you shift at redline. When you accelerate you are feeling TQ, thats why it feels quick from 3K-5K rpms and then tq plummets. Having a 5eat doesn't help that feeling at all. Quick is TQ and Fast is HP, like someone said there is quick and there is fast, a big difference. These turbo's were put on a car meant to be driven in stock form. The avg person does not drive spirited so a turbo designed for dd will produce more low end power as that is the reality of the cars use. If you want more up top you need a bigger turbo, you can adjust the boost and hold whatever psi you want at redline but if anything you will just be turning it into a hair dryer and run it past its efficiency level.

I'm well aware of shift points. Thank you.

A motor that has 1K of unusable power in the rev range is a bad design. However you want to look at it, it's just a reminder of how poorly these cars are designed.

A motor that has 1K of unusable power in the rev range is a bad design. However you want to look at it, it's just a reminder of how poorly these cars are designed.

So either buy a TD06-18G or go buy another car and get off this forum.

it's not 1k of unusable power, it's 1k of power after the peak. Of course it's going to feel like less since the rate of acceleration drops off so much faster, but that's why shift points exist, because at 5.5k you have more power when you upshift to a lower rpm when the turbo is beginning to do it's thing.

Would you rather have a turbo motor that's designed with an much better power range and the car costs $10k more?

• Mega Users

It wasn't a bad design, it was a conscious decision by subaru to make the car more appealing to the masses. They chose quick response and low end torque while sacrificing high end.

Instead of complaining about it, buy a bigger turbo.

go buy an $80K electric Tesla then if u want usable power from the second you push the peddle until redline. I suppose the other turbocharged subarus are poorly designed as well. U have flawed logic you cannot have both at the same time without sacrificing one or the other. Go buy an R1 if you want and slap a turbo on it, you can have all sorts of power through the RPM range and look at the clouds all at once.

It's not a bad design, it's a four banger with only 2.5 liters turbo charged. It all gets down to how much air and gas you can get into the motor.

A plain ole turbo can work great at low rpm or high rpm. It can't do both, hence twin scroll or variable vanes (big bucks)

If you want a big fat torque curve, either add cylinders or Cubic inches.

If you want real acceleration try a DD2 Kart. 0-60 in about 3 seconds.But it will be bested 0-30 by almost any street car:lol:

So I'm the only one that thinks his car is broken?

No, :lol:

On the other hand, if he wants to spend the money that you have spent on a DD, then he will be satisfied:lol:;)

You can get 800 HP out of 2 liters, for not very many miles:eek:

Archived