• Every other OCIs (7500 miles)
    • Once a year
    • Every two years
    • Every 15000 miles
    • Every 30000 miles
    • Every 60000 miles
    • Remove it completely
    • Never

alright. We all know about the infamous banjo bolt filter on the passenger side that can get clogged and kill our turbos (yes we do have another one the driver side behind the timing belt cover, but let's skip this one for now..).

There is a looooooong thread about how to change it. I've used it to do the job on my car.

I felt that it'll be useful to have a thread just addressing how often one should inspect and/or change it. This is assuming one does not want to get rid of it of course.

So here is the question: how often should one do this? I provide a poll that may help people in the future. I hope you'll all vote.

2007 TSB about it: here

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=65157&d=1237512742

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I understand. But that's why I said in my original post that this question is asked assuming one does not want to remove it.

I'm saying not removing it is a bad assumption.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

3k oil changer using whatever dino since brand new. Car is running happily with 125k no engine/turbo problems(yet...)

I had the same thing until about 142,000 miles and I got the P0011 and P0021 cel. Turbo was toast a few miles later.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I vote every 30k. If you going to leave it in. Other then that, this is what I would do. 1) Check it at 30k, if filter bolts are clean. Remove them, because you oil & filter for your OCI's is doing it'd job. If dirty; 2) Replace filter bolts with new\clean ones. Upgrade to a better oil & filter. Recheck 30k later. repeat 1&2 until the filter bolts are clean, so you can get rid of them.

What I did & why I did it.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1326330&postcount=158

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3703058&postcount=813

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

I vote every 30k. If you going to leave it in. Other then that, this is what I would do. 1) Check it at 30k, if filter bolts are clean. Remove them, because you oil & filter for your OCI's is doing it'd job. If dirty; 2) Replace filter bolts with new\clean ones. Upgrade to a better oil & filter. Recheck 30k later. repeat 1&2 until the filter bolts are clean, so you can get rid of them.

What I did & why I did it.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1326330&postcount=158

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3703058&postcount=813

Mike

interesting strategy.

you're saying "not inspecting it at all" is a bad assumption or "not getting rid of it" is a bad assumption? Sorry, just making sure I understand your point.

I'm saying, remove it at the first chance you have.

I believe I've read here that they were removed by the factory on later models.

I checked mine at 125K miles when I pulled the motor to do a clutch change. First time it had ever been out.

Nothing in the filter.

You didn't give me an option for longer... so I voted every 60K miles... but I think it should be longer.

You didn't give me an option for longer... so I voted every 60K miles... but I think it should be longer.

sorry man. I thought 60K was plenty already. Can no longer change poll options..

I guess I am way paranoid about that thing. changed that filter 10K ago and I am already wanting to check it..

• Mega Users
It is irresponsible to even have these still installed. A banjo bolt and a vf40 is a ticking time bomb unless you are running a bypass oil filtration system like hmmrdwn. Remove remove remove
"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

I'm at 125,000 and have neither checked, nor pulled mine. With a 3250 OCI, and a magnetic oil drain plug, never have had any indication that it's needed. Know that some turbo mfgrs recommend it, and I will remove it when I upgrade to my IP&T oil line and filter with the BNR 68HTA.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I'm at 125,000 and have neither checked, nor pulled mine. With a 3250 OCI, and a magnetic oil drain plug, never have had any indication that it's needed. Know that some turbo mfgrs recommend it, and I will remove it when I upgrade to my IP&T oil line and filter with the BNR 68HTA.

Where did you get that? Sounds good.

FP and BNR both recommend/require the banjo bolt filter to be pulled... and there's a Subaru TSB about it as well (or at least checking it IIRC).
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Yeah, I think mines still in there too. I never checked it in the 3 years I owned it. It may or may not be in there as I was the 3rd owner. 90k on stock engine/turbo and still pulling hard like 3 years ago. I'll "remove"(if it's there) it when I'm taking it to the tuner for the up pipe install. Was never concerned about as I changed the oil every 3 months.

provided a TSB about it in original post. Note that they basically only say that you need to check it, and replace if needed. They don't say anything about removing it for good (not trying to start argument, just summarizing TSB). And they emphasize shorter OCIs. FYI..

Archived