LegacyGT.com

Car is having a hard time starting

Starting three days ago my car has been hard to get started. It;s at the point where it is taking a couple long cranks to get it started usually two or three, it always starts eventually though. So far it has mainly been giving me this trouble when the car is hot but tonight it struggled even after sitting for a few hours.

I should note that it cranks hard like it should, and once it does start it runs perfect. Possibly even a bit stronger now after changing the spark plugs.

So far what I have looked into is paying attention to letting the fuel pump prime before cranking it. I hear it prime as usual.

I changed the crank shaft sensor which was the solution to another persons subaru with a very similar problem.

I also just changed the spark plugs today as well, which were well over due anyway.

The next thing I'm going to try is changing the fuel filter and I've also been thinking about trying sea foam.

I wanted to see if anyone has any other things I can look into?

since engine temp seems to have played a part in this,

i suggest you look at the engine coolant temp sensor.

if the engine is warm and the computer thinks it is cold,

you will get the wrong fuel mixture.

there are 2 temp sensors,

the one with 2 wires feeds info rto the ECU.

the one wire unit is only for the gauge.

it is a little difficult to get to, passenger side rear under the intake manifold, on the cross over pipe.

and the hoses around there are all old and brittle.

when i did mine i busted a small hose going to the IACV.

i used a generic piece of hose to replace it,

which worked fine,

but i almost had to do it twice since my fix blocked the PCV hose or something like that.

good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got the chance to change out the coolant temp sensor. I like to think the car is running crisper, once started it runs great, but sadly it's still struggling with starting when its hot just like its been doing since making the original post.

I also want to mention I changed the fuel filter and cleaned the MAF with some MAF cleaner.

The haynes manual says to look into the fuel injection system, so perhaps its the fuel pump.

Aside from that any suggestions on what I should look into and try next would be appreciated.

I'm thinking that my fuel pump is most likely causing the problem. Today, in the hottest part of the day, once again the car was not starting. Only this time there were no signs of it starting. Normally I always hear the pump priming but this time I wasn't hearing it at all.

In my research about this I read a thread saying that if the fuel pump is going bad you can bang on the gas tank while someone is trying to start the car. I was by myself so I got out and banged on the tank some. Turned the key on again and heard the pump priming. Primed it a couple times and the car started.

I've had to fix those 3 no-start problems throughout my ownership. It's hard to tell which one is bad by just listening to it crank, (crank sensor/coolant temp sensor/fuel pump). You've replaced 2 of the 3. Luckily the fuel pump is fairly easy on these cars. If you have the luxury of time, (not your daily driver), get a good quality fuel pump. The Airtex died after 2 years.
RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

Archived