LegacyGT.com

Bad day, blown sub...

Bootsie

So I just had my infinity basslink t installed in my new legacy about 1.5 months ago, and now it is blown. I am not sure why because I know I have pushed it harder in my old car, but yeah anyway I need to replace it.

I am running stock everything but just added the basslink for some extra bass.

I would like to replace it as frugally as possible since money is a little tight right now... I am not looking for any huge bass, I just like to be able to enhance the lows and feel it a little, but nothing crazy... I could replace it with another basslink at about $170 but I am afraid I would be a little disappointed with it. I do not want to take up much trunk space.

So I am looking for suggestions about what you guys think would be best... Maybe a single 12? I believe my amp kit is 8 gauge so I don't want to have to rerun that because it would be a huge hassle and I don't want to pay for it again.

Ideas? Suggestions? Anyone selling something?

Thanks!

• I Donated Too

I am assuming it's the amp in the basslink that's blown... not the speaker? It's a 10" 200 or 250w model? Unfortunately I've heard a lot of tales of those units having issues/failing. In your budget...

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_777B8PT/Sound-Ordnance-B-8PT.html?tp=114

this one has been very reliable, I have run two for nearly 2 years - on every day, lots of abuse - it's only an 8" though but hits hard - best inside the cabin, might get lost in a sedan trunk...

I am assuming it's the amp in the basslink that's blown... not the speaker? It's a 10" 200 or 250w model? Unfortunately I've heard a lot of tales of those units having issues/failing. In your budget...

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_777B8PT/Sound-Ordnance-B-8PT.html?tp=114

this one has been very reliable, I have run two for nearly 2 years - on every day, lots of abuse - it's only an 8" though but hits hard - best inside the cabin, might get lost in a sedan trunk...

Thanks! That is a good option, but yeah I'm a little afraid it would get lost in the trunk...

No it is the speaker, mine is the basslink T which has one 10" sub and 2 passive receivers... It has been pretty good, I ran it in my civic for 5 1/2+ years so I guess I can't complain...

I wonder if I should try to find something for under the seat?

Anyone have opinions about this?

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_2061PCVR12/Kicker-11PECVR12.html?tp=114#customer-reviews-tab

It is more than I want to spend, but seems like it would be much more powerful and therefore I wouldn't risk blowing it by feeling like I have to turn it up...

• I Donated Too
ported is fine in a sedan - they are much louder and any perceived 'port noise' will be lost in the trunk... you'll just feel the thump. I recently switched from a dual 12" JL Wedge sealed to a Type R 10" ported in the trunk - mind you it was 4ohm load to 2ohm load and so my amp was able to deliver more watts - but the sound is so much better. The only thing you do need to do is create a vent to the cabin or the trunk just shakes... open the hatch in the middle of the seats is one way... for me not an option anymore because that's where all my amps are. Plus I have two of those Sound Ordnance subs under each front seat too.

Thanks everyone, I am getting it looked at today to make sure it is blown like I think, and it is the sub that is blown but because it is an all in one system I don't think I can just replace the sub....

I am currently trying to decide between another all in one self powered unit, or a kit with sub, amp, and box...

The basslink was good in my civic but obviously I had to turn it up too much in the legacy to get the sound I wanted so that is why I am thinking of going with a 12 this time...

The basslink was installed by the hi-fi shop in Riverdale about 1.5 months ago for $170, so I would like to make use of that installed and just hook the new stuff up to that since I can't afford to pay for another install...

I am also thinking I will probably stick with ported for space and sound reasons, but I am open to suggestions on that as well...

The problem is I know enough about this stuff to kinds figure it out, but I don't know the tech stuff at all, so that makes it a little difficult. I am just trying to take everyone's opinions and figure out what will work best for me and my budget.

Thanks for your help!!

ported is fine in a sedan - they are much louder and any perceived 'port noise' will be lost in the trunk... you'll just feel the thump. I recently switched from a dual 12" JL Wedge sealed to a Type R 10" ported in the trunk - mind you it was 4ohm load to 2ohm load and so my amp was able to deliver more watts - but the sound is so much better. The only thing you do need to do is create a vent to the cabin or the trunk just shakes... open the hatch in the middle of the seats is one way... for me not an option anymore because that's where all my amps are. Plus I have two of those Sound Ordnance subs under each front seat too.

Hey Simafour, do the Sound Ordnance fit perfectly under the legacy seat, in other words are they hidden or do they stick out? I had one of these in my 09 Forester and it fit like a glove, loved the bass output.

Hello Bootsie, can you help me out a little more on your wants and budget please? Knowing the parameters in which you want to operate will allow me to suggest exactly what you will need. I agree about using what had been previously run as why pay twice for one service. Now from my understanding so far you have an 8gauge amp kit currently installed. How were you regulating the bass that emanated rom your subwoofer? Where was his placed and how much room are you willing to lose? These are just some basic questions that will help me and you in the long run. :)
2010 2.5GT limited is for sale. :)

I am also thinking I will probably stick with ported for space and sound reasons, but I am open to suggestions on that as well...

I'll just throw out that ported enclosures are typically larger than sealed, so if you're looking to save space, you might be better off with a sealed enclosure.

MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

I'll just throw out that ported enclosures are typically larger than sealed, so if you're looking to save space, you might be better off with a sealed enclosure.

Sorry I totally meant sealed, I don't know why I said ported... So much back and forth and tons of info haha

I'm thinking ill stick with sealed...

Hello Bootsie, can you help me out a little more on your wants and budget please? Knowing the parameters in which you want to operate will allow me to suggest exactly what you will need. I agree about using what had been previously run as why pay twice for one service. Now from my understanding so far you have an 8gauge amp kit currently installed. How were you regulating the bass that emanated rom your subwoofer? Where was his placed and how much room are you willing to lose? These are just some basic questions that will help me and you in the long run. :)

Wants= as much bass as I can get for my budget of around $200ish... And yes I would like to use what has already been run, under the seats would be nice but would require a lot more money to install...

Yes 8gauge currently, they hooked it up to the rear speakers so I had to fade to the rear to turn up the sub which sounds terrible because you lose everything from the fronts... So I turned up the gain with sounded good, but probably blew the sub...

It was placed in the trunk, and I would like to keep the space loss to a minimum and still be able to fold down the seats and use as a pass through for snowboards and such...

Thanks everyone for the help!

• I Donated Too
Hey Simafour, do the Sound Ordnance fit perfectly under the legacy seat, in other words are they hidden or do they stick out? I had one of these in my 09 Forester and it fit like a glove, loved the bass output.

Actually no they don't - they stick out. But they are so bullet proof I have a black towel over them and any rear passengers just put their feet on them - not ideal but I hardly ever have passengers back there. No problems with the subs like this either.

Any ideas for me coppertone?

The amp that it comes with isn't very good. Boss is bottom of the barrel for quality.

It's hard to see if the box is any good from the pic, and the description doesn't say what material it's built with, but it'll probably work ok. Some cheap boxes aren't sealed very well, so there's a possibility that you'd wanna seal it up better, but that's easy/cheap.

It'd be tough to get a complete set up for less money though. The sub isn't anything fantastic but on your budget, I don't see anything wrong with it. Sound quest wiring is good too.

Your call. I wouldn't pay money for that amp and I'm wary about the box, but it could be a good deal for the money.

MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

So I just had my infinity basslink t installed in my new legacy about 1.5 months ago, and now it is blown. I am not sure why because I know I have pushed it harder in my old car, but yeah anyway I need to replace it.

I am running stock everything but just added the basslink for some extra bass.

I would like to replace it as frugally as possible since money is a little tight right now... I am not looking for any huge bass, I just like to be able to enhance the lows and feel it a little, but nothing crazy... I could replace it with another basslink at about $170 but I am afraid I would be a little disappointed with it. I do not want to take up much trunk space.

So I am looking for suggestions about what you guys think would be best... Maybe a single 12? I believe my amp kit is 8 gauge so I don't want to have to rerun that because it would be a huge hassle and I don't want to pay for it again.

Ideas? Suggestions? Anyone selling something?

Thanks!

I feel really bad that your basslink is no more. For the price of your unit plus install, I caught an insane deal through Crutchfield in and around Father's Day 2012 and had a Sound Ordinance B-8PT installed underneath the front passenger seat of my 2011 Legacy. I purchased a wiring kit (Scosche) through Crutchfield also.

When I was younger, I had an insane set up...2 Fifteen inch speakers in my trunk and you could hear me blocks away. Although fun, now it's just not practical with a family. Also, now that I'm a grown man it is really ridiculous too...

Listen, I appreciate good full sound and chose the Sound Ordinance because it added just exactly what I was missing. It comes with a wired remote that I mounted with 3M tape underneath the dashboard hidden on the right underneath. This is great as I can set the bass level or turn it off underneath when I have Grandma in the car or the kids...When I'm off to work...it's booming in the car....not out...just what I need.

Perhaps you want to check this out for yourself. Maybe you'll be lucky to catch a deal like I did... on sale now with a $50.00 price break which is slightly more than what I paid but not full price..

Following the price changes for nearly a year to see if my price I got it for was any good....this is a great deal!:lol:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-rszjkYxOwY5/p_777B8PT/Sound-Ordnance-B-8PT.html

I dunno I am personally against any set up that the sub and amp are one unit....

Well it changed anyway, I ended up with Rockford prime R2 series 12" sub in a sealed box and Rockford amp... $240 all said and done. I think it will be just want I want, I hope!

Archived