LegacyGT.com

Winter road chemicals pitted the clearcoat on my wheels, fixable?

Well....got some mid level wheels and was told that there was no issue running them in the winter time. Well, vendor was dead wrong. The road chemicals pitted the clearcoat on my wheels. They look like they have mud stuck to them that won't wipe off. I tested a little spot, and the only way to remove the spots is with a wire brush, actually scraping down into the metal.

Before I contemplate doing all 4 wheels and respraying them with some sort of poly clearcoat, does someone offer any better suggestions?

I tried searching with no results. Any input is appreciated.

If the clearcoat is gone, then there isn't anything to fix it other than reclearcoating them. You can't fix what is missing, so no amount of polishing nor anything that comes in a bottle is going to replace the missing paint. I've never seen wheels quite so fragile, so you may have a warranty claim you can take to them. It will be kind of hard proving the damage came from winter when it is now nearly August, but regardless... the wheels should be a little more resistant to road chemicals and normal driving conditions than that.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

The clearcoat isn't gone until I sand it off. It's may be gone, but like I said, it looks like dirt that is stuck to the rim but the dirt doesn't come off using methods I have tried, other than using a wire brush and a drill or dremel, but that takes any clearcoat off.

I am 3 months past the 12 months warranty. They will not cover them. :mad:

Is it possible it is just baked on brake dust or even road tar? Post an unblurry picture of the damage from close up and that will help out a lot. I've seen pretty nasty stuff on wheels that actually cleans up with the right process.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Ouch ouch ouch!!! Yeah, those are definitely FUBAR. You'll have to have the lip re-polished for sure. Is any other part of the wheel affected other than the lip? That is massive clear coat failure right there. That doesn't just happen from rolling in the winter. That kind of thing usually only happens after years of abuse and neglect. I've seen wheels cleaned with brake fluid look better than that. Its a huge shame you didn't bring this to them before the warranty expired, because that is definitely a manufacturing problem. What kind of wheels are they so I know what to avoid?

OCDETAILS BLOG

Ultra Apex 200

I would agree that it was totally a mfg issue. Bought from my local Les Schwab as I try to keep things as local as possible.

Yes, a shame I missed the 12 month warranty, even more of a shame that they didn't make it right, or at least try with the mfg. I am afraid they will no longer receive any of my business as a result.

I am already looking for new wheels. Not quite sure what to do with these unless I sand them down and re-clearcoat them. :confused:

They could probably be repaired for about a hundred bucks a wheel. Check with a local dealership and ask who they get their wheels repaired by. Most dealerships have a couple contacts with PDR guys, wheel repair shops, tint & clear bra guys... that kind of thing. If you have a good relationship with a dealership then they might work out a deal to get your wheels fixed at their rate. It isn't irreparable damage, fortunately, but it is definitely the kind of thing that causes irreparable relationship damage with the tire store. Sad too because I've always really enjoyed my experience with Les Schwab, but I've never bought rims from them either. Guess I won't start now. Let them know that your story has already cost the brand some business.

OCDETAILS BLOG

That is a good idea and I will definitely check with the dealership. I also have a buddy that owns a reputable body shop that might have some ideas as well.

Thanks for the input!

Wow! I posted my story that I posted here on the Les Schwab Facebook page and got a phone call from the store manager this morning. Long story short, if I guy new tires, they will mount them on new wheels free of charge to replace my damaged ones.

So...the next question is, do any wheels withstand the harsh chemicals that they use on the roads? Are most wheels clear coated?

Will have to do some research.

Wow! I posted my story that I posted here on the Les Schwab Facebook page and got a phone call from the store manager this morning. Long story short, if I guy new tires, they will mount them on new wheels free of charge to replace my damaged ones.

So...the next question is, do any wheels withstand the harsh chemicals that they use on the roads? Are most wheels clear coated?

Will have to do some research.

I would opt for painted wheels and avoid the clear coated machined or polished wheels. Some wheels do not have a clear coat but they are usually ones with a chrome, machined, or polished finish. Almost all painted wheels will be topped with a clear coat. I would get some crappy wheels and mount winter tires on them for the winter so you don't have to worry about them in the winter.

I'll rock the stocks for winter I guess.

Well, I have some new wheels coming. 18x8 weighing in at 18.3lbs each. More of a straight spoke design, much easier to clean and fill. My new replacement wheels will be here next Tuesday.

I am blown at Todd's commitment to take care of the situation. All is as it should be. Faith has been restored. :D

Now THAT'S the Les Schwab I know. I'm glad they made it right for you. Do you get to keep the old rims, or are they taking those back? Hopefully they wad them up tight and shove them up the manufacturers rear end. Those were horribly defective.

Most wheels should handle the winter just fine. Unless you get serious acid on them (which would destroy the entire lip and not just parts of it) it usually takes a few years of neglect to get them looking like that. I had some wheels on my Mustang that I rolled on for three years through Utah winters without ever having any damage. And those were just "cheap" Enkei wheels. Deep dish polished lip and everything. Just like yours. If they can survive the salt encrusted roads and crap we call a winter around here, then I don't know why any wheel wouldn't hold up to a Montana winter too.

OCDETAILS BLOG

They will retain ownership of the old wheels. I'm sure he'll try to get MFG credit on them. Honestly, I grew pretty tired of them anyways. The stems were in the worst place to try and get a gauge or hair to, and they got too busy after a while. I went with a standard 10 spoke wheel.

Basically free, will cost me about $40 a corner and will be taking almost 8lbs a corner off of my weight.

Here's stock pic:

http://images.wheelpros.com/mMR2743.png

http://images.wheelpros.com/mMR2743.png

Well...the story gets even better. The wheels I bought two years ago went up. The price difference I had to pay for the new wheels was $65 total. Not too shabby.

DSC_0021.JPG.4daa7bb6323047406991ca5ce933b12c.JPG

Archived