LegacyGT.com

Reverse gear fork bent?

Hoping someone here has either done a reverse gear/fork repair on a 2010 6spd outback tranny before or might have insight as to where to point me. A friend needs a little help and I'm happy to do it with a bit of insight. Just don't want to tackle it without research first. Have rebuilt older manual subaru's so not a complete stranger but just thought i would ask before saying i would be happy to help them.

He lives up in the mountains and got stuck high centered on some snow and was rocking it back in for when either he bent/broke the fork or gear. However no metal particulate drained out when he checked the fluid so its like its just not getting pushed all the way back in place. It instantly pops out of reverse and you can't hold it in reverse.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry if its on here somewhere. I did start with the search function but didn't find anything.

I sincerely hope it's your shifter cables being a bit loose or a clip issue. My car started getting really tough to get into reverse and then it wouldn't stay in reverse and I had to park uphill for months until I bit the bullet and bought a used tranny from California for 2k. Spent another 700 getting it installed too. I kept the old transmission because I want to rebuild it as a back/upgrade when the time comes. My shop said they have a go to transmission reman company and when they said they had a Subaru with a reverse issue the guy respond with "It's not a Legacy 6MT is it?"

Apparently they had rebuilt the reverse gearing/fork on this exact transmission with the post update parts directly from Subaru and they always came back within 30 days having the same problem. A couple guys had this problem show up as early as 60k miles or so and the transmission was replaced by Subaru under warranty but Subaru has never mentioned anything about a potential defect or recall with this gear box.

Something that can cause this problem to get a lot worse is if you have ever moved your shifter past the reverse gate (not even into gear just past the reverse gate) while moving forward at any speed.

Just some of my experience with a similar problem. I am hoping to crack open my old transmission this spring to see if there are any obviously worn, bent, or broken parts to give me a better understanding of what went wrong with mine and if that might be a similar problem to what other people have had happen.

The shifter mechanism and/or reverse lockout has been known to crack/break as well since it's just a plastic housing mounted on the trans tunnel. I too would start by inspecting the shifter and cable assemblies.

• 3 weeks later...

I just experienced this with a 2005 LGT 5MT wagon after single digit winter temps set in. When cold, I cannot engage reverse gear. Once the car is warmed up, reverse gear can be selected and feels normal.

We've only had a few inches of snow at a time, but of the type that packs the wheel wells with not thawing. Will be checking fluids first until the car is clean enough to check underneath.

JC, Chicagoland bassist & opentracker

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd wagon

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd sedan

Archived