LegacyGT.com

Oil pressure reading low

If that's truly reading 50 PSI, don't complain. The oil idiot light doesn't go on until 2.1 PSI (at least according to the 2010 shop manual), at which point it's just an indicator of expensive upcoming repairs.

Yeah & I drove it down the street to a sushi restaurant and it idled at 15psi and cruised it on 3rd @ 3k and read 30-35psi

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

That pressure is way too low for a cold start, and your cruise at 30-35 is too low too. I would put a mechanical gauge on and verify if it's a sensor/gauge issue or truly a pressure issue. I would NOT drive the car until knowing for certain!

Hopefully it's just the gauge and not a cracked oil pickup, but changes in oil pressure are cause for concern.

If your pickup is cracked symptoms are almost always intermittent before constant or engine damage/failure occurs. You noticed a change in you pressure readings which is an indication something somewhere has changed. An oil change, or changing viscosity, will change pressure reading somewhat but it will not fix a problem. I would not temp fate by driving this car until verifying why pressure changed.

According to the shop manual these are the specs for pump discharge pressure at oil temp of 80C:

600 rpm - 14 psi

6,000 rpm - 56.8 psi

That is for your year. His year has lower specs, but these are minimum specs. Pressure rates will fall to these levels over many 10s of thousands of miles, not a few thousand or a few oil changes.

Here's a chart for your viewing pleasure...

http://photos.killerbmotorsport.com/i.ashx?gallery=345327&mid=68584645&mt=Photo&standardsize=1600x1200

Archived