LegacyGT.com

'93 SS been sitting awhile

I just picked up a 94 Legacy SS that's been sitting for a few years. The previous owner said a timing pulley broke and slipped the belt. The owner said he put fresh fuel in it and tried to get it running but couldn't. I'm planning on doing new plugs, wires, timing kit, and checking the usual seals & gaskets.

What brand of timing belt kit would you recommend? How do I deal with any old fuel in the system?

This'll be my first turbo Subaru. Anything else I should look out for?

http://i46.tinypic.com/35cot46.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/14o5co6.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/2lu9u9w.jpg

Oh, you are so lucky!!! We need pics right away. Sedan or Touring Wagon? How much? Color, miles, auto/5MT? Timing belt slipped? No problem! Non-interference 22T!!! :)

Gates timing kit all the way! The belt practically hangs itself. I have a whole slew of pics from my 22T rebuild if you need anything.

Replace your RMS if it is leaking beyond a slow weep, definitely your oil separator plate, all the other seals, ha ha. Be very careful with your turbo inlet elbow. Look at it sideways and you will crack it. All of your PCV and vacuum lines should be replaced. The purge control solenoid valve is most likely bad as well. Any CELs?

I lucked into an SS Sedan 5mt. Supposedly sitting for 9 years. Scooped it up off of craigslist. I'm getting a car trailer to get it home, then I'll have some pics.

Anybody know why timing kits would be different between 1993 and 1994?

hope it hasent been sitting in grass for 9 years.. otherwise the entire undercarriage will be rotten out... by brother-in-law parked a car in grass and left it for 2 years.... and when we went to get it you couldnt jack it up anywhere... it was too rusted out.

in other words

sitting in grass=bad for car

• 2 weeks later...
Just got my Gates kit off of ebay. I pulled out the water pump right away and saw they screwed up and sent me the pump with one outlet instead of two... I'll probably try to get it running with the old one until I get a replacement.

No, use the old 2 outlet water pump that's been in the car until I get a new one. I might just keep the kit and sell the water pump on cl. The project's kind of on the back burner until I get some home projects done and hunting season is over.

• 3 weeks later...
Just realized 3 out of 5 timing covers are done for. All the nuts have pulled out from the inner ones. Looks like someone tried to epoxy them in place - didnt work. Ordered some from Subaru. I'll have to wait until Tuesday to do anything else. Such a bummer having to wait several days when I'm only 2-3 hours from cranking it over.

• 2 weeks later...
FIRED IT UP! Got the alternator tensioner bracket on. Found a matching (almost) rear door from a wagon to replace my dented one. I bolted it on and it looks like the window is different. I'll be swapping window, door handle, and glass soon. I drove it around the block a few times. Seems in pretty good shape. Not bad for sitting for 9 years.

Archived