LegacyGT.com

Which engine oil is recommended

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
really? ive heard of that also. I was just wondering if there really is a difference mine is 5eat i don't know if that makes any difference what so ever, but all I heard was that rotella is good and best but I don't know I think it's just which ever you go with.

Oils are religions around here. I prefer older SL-rated oils like German Castrol because they still have lots of zinc (acts as a lubricant in metal-to-metal situations), though it will eventually foul cats (or so they say).

Get UOAs from Blackstone Labs and listen to what they say. Everyone here is a zealot for a particular oil or 2. In no particular order, you won't go wrong with:

Castrol Edge SPT 0W-30 (current branding of German Castrol, look for the "Made in Germany" on the back)

Rotella T6 5W40

Mobil 1 0W-40 European Formula

Never tried the Pennzoil so have no opinion, but many on BITOG seem to like it.

Yeah I use penzoil and I like it nothing bad but just wondered cause my friend uses rotella 5w-40 and just wondered. I noticed that though oil is just people's choice which ever one is better or what they like. But thanks everyone I appreciate the comments!

Yeah I use penzoil and I like it nothing bad but just wondered cause my friend uses rotella 5w-40 and just wondered. I noticed that though oil is just people's choice which ever one is better or what they like. But thanks everyone I appreciate the comments!

If you think it's bad here try BITOG (Bob Is The Oil Guy). If there's an oil question you can't get answered there, the manufacturer doesn't know. There's also a fully-developed religious structure based on oil brands, so just be aware before you jump in.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

Oh okay than because I'm about to do my oil change and so it's fine if just switch it to rotella? And even though its 5w-40 it's still good that's another thing that I was wondering about also?

Don't worry about the weights. All of the car companies are listing lower-weight oils just to add fractional MPG to meet their CAFE requirements. Any modern synthetic oil will have a pour point well below 0F and will not be an issue in a NoVa winter. Been running oils like this in turbo Subies for 11 years here in NW VT and never had a winter starting issue with cars that always were outside (insert standard joke about VT 2-car garage and who gets the one available spot).

Rotella T6 > Mobil 1

Good enough for both our turbo subaru.

This.

I run 15-40 Rotella in my built shortblock and she loves it.

You might as well piss in your filler neck if you want to run Mobil 1. :lol:

Yeah also when I first got my Subaru heard so much about people saying do not use Mobil 1 oil, it's so bad here and there but than I see some people use it lol. Well I put penzoil 5w-30 on my car worked fine only because I already bought everything ahead of time, but next oil change ill change to rotella 5w-40 because heard that was really good for our turbo Subarus. I don't have much just running on stage 2 but with equal length headers and up pipe.

You guys know rotella has switched up the formula right?

"Rotella has been reformulated for lower emissions in line with the other systems on the new clean diesels. To do so, they've changed their additive package so it's similar to other oils not recommend designed for gas engines, such as Mobil 1 5w30 and many other GF-4 oils.

These high detergent oils are designed for emissions compliance, not performance. Modified turbocharged engines require a great deal more protection than the average engine. Only certain racing oils have the high zinc content and other additives necessary for high film strength and anti wear capability in a high performance application. These additives are at odds with emissions standards. For example, Phosphorous is found in good racing oils, but is limited in street oils because of its long term negative effect on catalytic converters."

That being said, I run brad penn oil's high in zinc.

Archived