LegacyGT.com

Factory radio MOD single to 6 disc project

Xander_X

I still use buy CD's. I have an 160gb iPod that's half full of music, but I just can't rap my head around buying digital music that could somehow disappear, become corrupted, etc. I like having a physical form of media that is forever mine and I can do what I want with it.

That being said, it can sometimes take me up to a year to get around to transferring a newly purchased CD to my iPod. For instance, I have 2 or 3 dozen at the moment that need to be transferred. So I actually still USE CD's as well. I'm disappointed that my 09 Legacy SE doesn't have an option of adding a disc changer, and swapping stereos from a Limited or GT is not an option due to the Dual climate control not being able to work on my car, and also I've heard too many horror stories about it to want it.

Ok, so for my next project:

Today I noticed as I was driving, the sun came from behind me at just the right angle that I could see into the screen on my stereo and see all the little icons that were available to be lit up. Some of them were for having multiple discs, I then compared the face of my stereo with that of the Limited and came to the conclusion that the stereo's are indeed the same minus some internal differences; namely the disc changing mechanism.

So being that the multi-disc and dual climate are pretty much melded together, I figured that, theoretically, the internals should be able to be swapped. Thus giving the base model and SE models a disc changer.

Now my problem is, as I'm 98.5% sure I can get this to work (I'm really good with electronics so if it can be done I can get it to work, but there's that 1.5% chance that it's technologically or physically impossible), I need to procure, at least, a 6 disc radio from an 07-09 and preferably a single disc from the same years, so I'm not experimenting on mine.

If anyone has either that maybe the HVAC doesn't work, something else doesn't work on it, or just wants to get rid of, I would love some donations or I would purchase them from you if you're willing to part with them for cheap (really don't want to spend much unless I'm 100% sure it'll work). I would of course pay shipping fees.

If and when I complete this, I would be willing to perform this mod for other member free of charge, other than shipping fees.

Archived