LegacyGT.com

I think I need a timing belt...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/SeventyOneBlue/IMG_3534.jpg

So is it just me or is the guide wearing the shit out of my belt? It's also quite soft and feels pretty loose. So I made a topic saying my car was over heating, looks like the previous owner lied and said that the timing belt and water pump had been changed.

From seeing all the other work you've done or plan to do. I find it incredulous that you can't figure out how to get the crank pulley loose.

Anyway. 22mm socket, breaker bar resting against frame or ground and bump the starter. Works every time.

O.

From seeing all the other work you've done or plan to do. I find it incredulous that you can't figure out how to get the crank pulley loose.

Anyway. 22mm socket, breaker bar resting against frame or ground and bump the starter. Works every time.

O.

hey man, first subaru haha! And Ive been frazzled as of late. I know how to take a crank pulley off, my issue is that it wont budge and I need a bigger breaker bar. I'm used to external water pumps and timing chains haha

Impact gun works best, but you need to pull the radiator to get clearance.

The goofy clips on the radiator fan connectors you have to pry outwards to get them off, little screwdriver works. Mine took gorilla force to get off.

The tensioner is also goofy, its a self contained hydraulic tensioer. You need to pry up on it slowly and stick a nail or some strong wire in the tiny holes as they align. You don't want to see oil squirted out of it, it means its going bad. Once you release the tension on the belt, you can spin the idlers and see whats up there.

There are no guides. These are all idlers and gears.

that looks like mine after the carocaol canister was rubbing on the belt after i crushed the frame in. i would check for a locked up idlers or someing else that rubbing on the backside of the belt.

the crank bolt is always a biotch the first time. the starter bump was not my first choice but after some time i sucked it up. kinda scary the first time.

and getting the pully to slide off is no simple task the first time either. liquid wrench helps but some tapping and wiggleing is needed. the crank gear is also a fun one the first time but it helps you can pry against the oil pump on that one. just dont chip off any of it.

Archived